Sign in to follow this  
noctis90210

[Help] Ripping DVD & Encoding to produce sharper clearer and smoother mkv?

noctis90210
Posted (edited)

Hello, i hope im on the right section... I just want to ask something about DVD ripping and encoding...

i have here season 3 disc 1 of pokemon DVD (US)...

i also have an archive of those episodes ripped by other release group...

i compared one by one... and it shows that episodes ripped by PM-Dragon release group is the one that has the most detailed picture...

Clearer than other encodes and clearer than the actual DVD...

Screenshot comparison below:

The first 1 is the one from DVD and the second one is PM-Dragon's encode...

as we can see, PM-Dragons encode is much better...

My question is... is there someone who can teach me how to encode and produce that kind of video (PM-Dragons encode)?

I tried handbreak, but whatever mix-match setting i tried, i cannot achieve the same quality on PM-Dragons encode... or should i use other type of encoder?

as for MediaInfo of PM-Dragons encode, i will also include below the screenshot...

thanks and have a nice day...

2w7eamc.pngoii4ab.png

General
Unique ID                                : 199420310812283341617301817011162421674 (0x9606F46E8263B3D391FA7BEB4FA599AA)
Complete name                            : G:\Pokemon\Anime Series\Season 03 - The Johto Journeys\0117 - Don't Touch That 'dile.mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 2
File size                                : 221 MiB
Duration                                 : 22 min 41 s
Overall bit rate                         : 1 361 kb/s
Encoded date                             : UTC 2010-05-27 20:46:27
Writing application                      : mkvmerge v3.2.0 ('Beginnings') built on Feb 12 2010 16:46:17
Writing library                          : libebml v0.7.9 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : [email protected]
Format settings                          : CABAC / 5 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, RefFrames               : 5 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                                 : 1 142 kb/s
Width                                    : 640 pixels
Height                                   : 480 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 4:3
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 25.000 FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.149
Stream size                              : 185 MiB (84%)
Title                                    : Video 1
Writing library                          : x264 core 77 r1292 e381f6d
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=0.4:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=36 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=2 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / keyint=500 / keyint_min=50 / scenecut=40 / rc=cqp / mbtree=0 / qp=22 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=0
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Commercial name                          : Dolby Digital
Codec ID                                 : A_AC3
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 192 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel layout                           : L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 31.250 FPS (1536 SPF)
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 31.2 MiB (14%)
Title                                    : Audio 1
Language                                 : English
Service kind                             : Complete Main
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

Edited by noctis90210

Diodopdoxfiu

First of all I want to say that I am not a professional in the editing of videos, but compare the two images and I see that for the video below, the one with the best quality, because they have put a lot of smoother, it shows much more in the eyes and edges that was used in exeso smoother effect, then clarified a bit the video, but perhaps using the smoother effect is enhanced color automatically. Maybe to make that effect they will use some professional video editor, like adobe prime or vegas, but I'm not sure about that.

• Like 1

Kuronoe
Posted (edited)

I do not think the second img is that good, but if you like it, I would say that it has passed a sharp (in excess), reduced the saturation a bit. However, it did not fix the lines, they are problematic and failing. If you pay attention in the eyes of the characters, you will see that the reflection has joined the edge. I think there may be some denoise, for some details disappeared on the trees and the collar of Ash's shirt.

Handbrake is not efficient for this kind of problem. It's more complex than it looks. You will need to learn how to use avspmod and avisynth filters, in principle to deinterlace the DVDs and then apply the necessary filters to be able to improve color (clarity).

You can try deinterlace and apply MSharpen, toon, maa2 and correct the color with Tweak and Levels, but as I warned, it's complex if you've never worked with it. Then learn how to use the Megui or x264Core and do the encoder, this can take 8 ~ 12 hours per episode depending on your setup (computer).

You can arrange a cut of 1 ~ 2 minutes of the original DVD using mkvtoolnix, it would help to verify how to get the filters better. The encoding media-info does not help at all, it's just parameters and these are old and inefficient nowadays.

@edit:
Post printscreen without the program, for example, using f5 in the MPC-HC, this makes it difficult to compare images.

Edited by Kuronoe
  • Like 1

noctis90210
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Diodopdoxfiu said:

Maybe to make that effect they will use some professional video editor, like adobe prime or vegas.

13 hours ago, Kuronoe said:

Then learn how to use the Megui or x264Core and do the encoder.

Thanks for the tips guys... I probably use MeGui, cuz adobe premier is paid application am i right?

If you pay attention in the eyes of the characters, you will see that the reflection has joined the edge. I think there may be some denoise, for some details disappeared on the trees and the collar of Ash's shirt.

Wow i didnt notice that there are disadvantages too... Yeah, i see what you mean, the eyes reflection becomes smaller... But of course watching the episode as a whole makes the second one look better... Fine lines, no noise, less interlace...

You will need to learn how to use avspmod and avisynth filters, in principle to deinterlace the DVDs and then apply the necessary filters to be able to improve color (clarity).

You can try deinterlace and apply MSharpen, toon, maa2 and correct the color with Tweak and Levels, but as I warned, it's complex if you've never worked with it. Then learn how to use the Megui or x264Core and do the encoder.

Actually this is my first time im going to use MeGui, thats why im still confused how to operate it. MSharpen, toon, maa2 are plugins right? I tried to search for other plugin and i found some additional good plugin.

https://www.aquilinestudios.org/avsfilters/sharpeners.html

But the problem is i dont know how to apply those plugin (.dll) in MeGui... Haha... Sorry for being a noob...

Edited by noctis90210

Kuronoe

Official Avspmod and avisynth can you find in: http://avisynth.nl/ (external filters).
You need avisynth for run all dlls, download dlls and put in plugins in avisynth folder.
The megui can read any dlls if you have the avisynth installed. Avspmod shows the result of the filters in the video before you encoding it, a kind of preview.

I do not recommend any dlls with parameters in default, you need to study them, since most can destroy your video in different parts. The denoise in this pokemon, for example, may have destroyed darker scenes with details. In this scene is little visible, because it is clear.

The megui has some filters inside it but you will rarely use them, you will have to create the script with avspmod and filter the filter by looking at how they change the img. Once ready, you put your script in megui, for example, "pokemon.avs" and encoding it.

It's difficult to explain with words, I hope it helps in something. My tip is, do not use too much sharpen and you never approach the denoise until you practice filtering, they can destroy your video, especially in scenes with fine or dark details.

• Like 2

noctis90210

thanks @Kuronoe , im using avspmod now, im learning little by little, i tried aWarpSharp and i saw the difference, it widens/narrows the drawing lines... but it sometimes distort shapes, thats why what youve said is correct, extreme modifying parameters loses detail...

now, i want to try other .dll plugin, but when i download them and placed them both on:

Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins64

Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins

it shows a red error "Script Error: There is no function named 'MSharpen'." (New File, line #)

is there any plugin you can suggest (without parameters) to enhance picture quality of SD videos?

Anyway thanks for your patience teaching me... :-)

Kuronoe
Posted (edited)

The vast majority of filters are 32 bits. In that case, even if you have a 64-bit system, I would recommend using avsp and avisynth 32 bits, as they must be the same. Few filters are ported to 64 bits. This error happens when avisynth does not find the filter, even though it is in the folder, sometimes because the version is different.
You can try loading the filter, sometimes solving it.
For example:

LoadingPlugin("Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins\ Msharpen.dll")

Try to read about the filters:
QTGMC (parameters) (slow) and BruteIVTC () (medium). They are the two best for deinterlace. Remember to install all required dlls.

Improving the img depends on the type of video being worked, it is impossible a script that works the same for everything.

Edited by Kuronoe
  • Like 2

noctis90210

@Kuronoethanks... I will try your suggestion, then im going to play and tinker different plugins that will suit best...

Diodopdoxfiu

I do not know if it's better than the programs that have named you, but I recommend the Video to Video program, it presents many easy-to-use tools, including filters and advanced filters, you can also configure it to your liking if you know advanced video notions, it's a matter of using it to see all the internal features it presents, including the muxeo of videos similar to mkvtoolnix, the union of divided videos without loss of quality or format conversion, you can also divide videos and leave them as if they had been muxeados, well, has many, but many distinguished features, both for amateurs users, and professionals in video editing, the only bad thing that I see is that it does not have support for 265x, but I hope that in some future it has it.

• Like 1

noctis90210
Posted (edited)

@Diodopdoxfiu can you give an example of video to video program? These are the filters that i need

- make drawing lines more solid but not too thick (i dont want drawing lines to be blurred on sides, cuz it makes drawing lines looks thick) (i dont know if should i use sharpening to achieve the quality of drawing lines the 2nd screenshot)

- remove interlacing [QTGMC/BruteIVTC as suggested by @Kuronoe]

- smoothening that will not cause too much detail loss

- denoiser that will not cause too much detail loss

- anti aliasing [maa2 as suggested by @Kuronoe]

- color enhancer (make white really white and not yellowish white)

About extracting and trimming videos without quality loss on dvd, i use makemkv and mkvtoolnix resoectively.

@Kuronoe thanks for suggesting maa2 on your first reply and QTGMC and bruteIVTC.

avisynth + plugins are really complex matter like youve said, there are lots of mix-match that can be applied.

As for achieving the 2nd screenshot (i know its impossible to 100% imitate it, since we dont know how PM-dragon applied filters)

But do you think i need those filters i mentioned on first paragraph of  this post?

In your assessment, what filters should i use?

Thanks...

Edit:. Do i need to use both QTGMC and bruteIVTC? Or should i choose only one?

Edited by noctis90210

Diodopdoxfiu

As I said, I'm not a video editing professional, but I know that this program is quite advanced in my opinion, it has enough filters, including muxing, dividing video files, joining video files, brightness, contrast, color, sharpen, it's free, but it has a lot of advanced options that I've never used, including dozens of conversion formats, whether audio or video, double-pass, subtitles, extracting videos from DVDs, recording DVDs, audio muxeo to video, remove commercials, make a video with only images, extract images from videos, deinterlace, rotate, flip, trace, denoise, noise, Fade in, Invert, Deshake, Kernel deinterlacer, Delegate, cut margins, make margins, media info , and if you know about advanced settings, then you have a place where you can make your own script or commands for your videos.
Well, it is a matter of proving and truthful all the internal features just reviewing.

• Like 1

noctis90210
Posted (edited)

@Kuronoe heres my trial using these script:

LWLibavVideoSource("E:\Video\Pokemon Johto Journeys D1\title_t00 (1)-001 (1)-002.mkv", format="YUV420P8")

####################################################### Deinterlace
tfm(cthresh=9)
tdecimate(mode=1)

####################################################### Drawing line ehhancement
aWarpSharp2(thresh=128, blur=2, type=0, depth=16, chroma=4)

####################################################### Darken Drawing line
FastLineDarkenMOD()
Hysteria()

####################################################### Smoother
BlindPP(quant=2, cpu=6, ipp=true, moderate_h=20, moderate_v=40)

####################################################### Denoise
Deen("m2d",4,7,9,0.5)

####################################################### Antiliasing
maa2 (mask=1, chroma=false, ss=2.0, aa=48, aac=40, threads=4, show=0)

and the result is "almost" there compared to PM-Dragons (left) release.

Screenshot 1: the marked red boxes are still my problem, my encode (right) still have artifacts (boxed like) and i want to make it smooth...

166xhfq.png

Screenshot 2: also on some frames, on the side/edges of drawing lines, there are rainbow like artifacts (red box)

and black boxes are still ugly on my encode (ash shirt and edges of brocks skin near drawing line), maybe also related to artifacts problem on Screenshot 1???

14wzyb8.png

@Kuronoe but still im not using your QTGMC/BruteIVTC deinterlacing

i will try it later and see if it will produce differences, hoping for the better of course...

and regarding to the filter list i need on my previous post, still waiting for your assessment if i need those or not?

and your assessment what other filter i can you suggest to produce that "almost" same quality...

the better part on my script, is theres no ghosting during movement or change of scene... which is present on PM-Dragon release...

Edited by noctis90210
  • Like 1

noctis90210
19 minutes ago, Diodopdoxfiu said:

As I said, I'm not a video editing professional, but I know that this program is quite advanced in my opinion, it has enough filters, including muxing, dividing video files, joining video files, brightness, contrast, color, sharpen, it's free, but it has a lot of advanced options that I've never used, including dozens of conversion formats, whether audio or video, double-pass, subtitles, extracting videos from DVDs, recording DVDs, audio muxeo to video, remove commercials, make a video with only images, extract images from videos, deinterlace, rotate, flip, trace, denoise, noise, Fade in, Invert, Deshake, Kernel deinterlacer, Delegate, cut margins, make margins, media info , and if you know about advanced settings, then you have a place where you can make your own script or commands for your videos.
Well, it is a matter of proving and truthful all the internal features just reviewing.

yeah, the app is really complex... but still, im trying to learn...  i know i cannot completely imitate PM-Dragons encode 100% since avisynth+lots of plugins is a matter of millions of combinations... but what i want is atleast to get the "almost there" looks of my encode, or to be much better (like ive said in my previous post my encode doesnt have ghosting which i think an advantage on my encode).

• Like 1

Kuronoe
Posted (edited)

Some things you need to watch out for. When using prints for comparisons try taking them using f5, post them separately and without cutting into any site, for example, imgbox.com or imgur.com in png, you can use the filter "subtitle(" your sourcer DVD or Encoder ", x = 7). Make two tabs in avspmod, one with pure video (no filters) and the one you are working with (filters), it is much easier for you to observe, if you right click on avspmod preview it gives you the option "save quick img". Use them.

About your filters:
tfm is very simplistic, it solves some soucer, but not all. try to use BruteIVTC(), if it does not look good, use the QTGMC(preset = "medium", fpsdivisor = 2, edimode = "NNEDI3").
Tdecimate is good, but use only to fix the fps:
Tdecimate(mode=7, rate=23.976), for example for anime and cartoon.
Denoise I do not recommend until you get practice, Deen is very strong for some dvds. I suggest you read about fft3dfilter and if it is to use, reduce its sharp to 0.10 and sigma = 1.0

BlindPP is destructive, just like FastLineDarkenMOD() and Hysteria(), never use 2 linedarken in the same script if you do not know how to apply them separately, they will destroy your lines. Start with Toon(0.10 min ~ 0.30 max) to notice the changes.
Removes the parameters of MAA2(), leaves it default, adaptive.

Your loading video: LWLibavVideoSource is recommended for Blu-rays. For dvds it would be very important you learn how to use DGindex to create the project.
Since you're not familiar with it, I suggest you make a remux of your DVD with MakeMKV and use the resulting .mkv. For example: FFVideoSource("pokemon.mkv").

If you have many rainbows in your sourcer I suggest Bifrost(interlaced=true) before the QTGMC, or another interlace that you are using. Remember to remove the interlace=true if your sourcer is not interlaced.

Your script would look like this:

#FFVideoSource("E:\Video\Pokemon Johto Journeys D1\pokemon.mkv").
#QTGMC(preset="medium", fpsdivisor=2, edimode="NNEDI3")
#or
#BruteIVTC()
#Tdecimate(rate = 23.976) #use or not mode = 7
#ConvertToYV12() # Default
#fft3dfilter(sigma = 1, bt = 5, bw = 32, bh = 32, ow = 16, oh = 16, sharpen = 0.1) # Do not recommend, look for the detail loss in dark scenes, it's up to you.
#toon(0.10)
#MSharpen (threshold = 10, strength = 30, mask = false, highq = true) # 30 or less.
#f3kdb(range = 15, Y = 64, Cb = 64, Cr = 64, sample_mode = 2, grainY = 64, grainC = 64, keep_tv_range = False, blur_first = false) #debanding to resolve the halos.
#crop(0, 0, -0, -0) # if you need to cut black bars on the sides.
#MAA2()

f3kdb: https://f3kdb.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Edited by Kuronoe
  • Thanks 1

badguys
Posted (edited)

Personally, when I encode straight from DVD, I just do 80% of the resolution (it's aspect ratio in square pixels) combined with turning on the EEDI2Bob decomber for interlaced material and setting the framerate to be "same as source" (Variable Framerate) when encoding with Vidcoder.  It works well enough.

80% of the video's resolution is enough to retain minor details while losing very little in the encoding process.  Especially speeds things up when dealing with 10-bit video.

Also, there are times where interlaced video can produce unique frames for every line producing a fluid motion (this is true of a lot of Computer Generated graphics of the '90s and some made-for-video CG of the '80s, but there's also some video-based shots that do this in live-action), meaning that 30i might not specifically be 30p but have 60 progressive frames of (what was) interlaced motion instead.

Edited by badguys
  • Like 1

noctis90210
7 hours ago, Kuronoe said:

Your script would look like this:

Whoa, thanks for a lot of tips!!! Honestly, i dont have an idea how to use QTGMC, theres a lot of parameters i dont know how set... I only use plugins that have default values and tweak parameters a little bit.

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/External_filters

This is where i download plugins and look for default values.

Anyway, I will test it later and see the output 😊

BIG THANKS AGAIN!!! 👍👍👍👍👍

noctis90210
Posted (edited)

@Kuronoe

Hello, i'm done with my tuning, i retain  deen cuz its good in blending colors and deblocking in solid surfaces instead of ff3dfilter.

Then i used QTGMC. Cuz theres still interlacing with bruteivtc. And compared to tfm, tfm almost reduced the frame by half, thats why i think tfm is not good.

I removed BlindPP. Added your toon and Msharpen. Retained awarpsharp and hysteria (just my preference).

I tried lots of other plugin, degrain, denoise...

But what i learned is that the more i want to  reduce grain/noise, it makes the picture smooth but loses some datails. I also noticed those on PM-dragons release, its really smooth, less noise/grain, solid colors on surfaces, but looses some details.

Thats why i keep my tuning (in deen) less destructive. Even though theres minimal grain/noise, i still retain important details.

In my logic (i dont know if this is correct):

If we want to make the picture more smooth, less grain, less noise, we need give up some details.

AND if we want to retain details, we need to accept some presence of grain/noise.

I tune my preference atleast in the middle.

A little bit grainy, but atleast retains details. Compared to PM-Dragon encode, too smooth but looses details...

I added stabilize plugin [ stab() ] to eliminate earthquake-like movement of the camera.

I added crop (-2 pixel in every sides)

1. To remove original black "burned paper-like" structure on left/right sides

2. Removed black empty pixel on top/bottom sides caused by stabilizing.

Then i add lancozresize(640,480) plugin to retain 4:3 aspect ratio. Cuz the one on DVD is horizontally stretched by 720x480 (why did VIZ media do this, jigglypuff is oblong there, haha)

My encoding to Megui is 1hr 45mins (max of 5fps) to a 25mins episodes. Do you think this will improve on a powerful computer?

=======================

About encoding on MeGui. I already tried it during drafts. But may i ask how to encode video in a the same quality as the original? What i mean is just apply the avisynth filter and retain audio (DD 2.0) and video quality?

What i did is just load my avs filter, set the video output, load the mkv on the audio input and clicked AutoEncode. Choose h264 output option and choose "no target size" on size and bitrate, then queue... Do i need to change any other settings on Megui aside from what i mention? Like 8bit,10bit, x264, x265, bitrates etc etc

Thanks...

Edited by noctis90210

noctis90210
On 3/30/2019 at 10:10 AM, badguys said:

Personally, when I encode straight from DVD, I just do 80% of the resolution (it's aspect ratio in square pixels) combined with turning on the EEDI2Bob decomber for interlaced material and setting the framerate to be "same as source" (Variable Framerate) when encoding with Vidcoder.  It works well enough.

80% of the video's resolution is enough to retain minor details while losing very little in the encoding process.  Especially speeds things up when dealing with 10-bit video.

Also, there are times where interlaced video can produce unique frames for every line producing a fluid motion (this is true of a lot of Computer Generated graphics of the '90s and some made-for-video CG the '80s, but there's also some video-based shots that do this in live-action), meaning that 30i might not specifically be 30p but have 60 progressive frames of (what was) interlaced motion instead.

So you mean Tdecimate is not a good decomber? Since it reduces frames from originally 29 on dvd to 23 encoded video?

I like that 60 progressive with fluid motion that you mention. What plugin/filter should i use in that, and also the parameters, im going to test... Thanks...

Kuronoe
Posted (edited)

The encoding time is proportional to the amount of filters you use. Denoise is extremely heavy and will reduce the final size of your file because you are literally removing details. You will never be able to maintain the quality ratio of encoding x sourcer.

About audio. You do not need to pass the audio through megui, did you do remux with makemkv? If yes, just extract it (with mkvtoolsnix) and then muxar to your encoder, so I recommended it.

Does not use automatic encoding. In input/encoding settings/config/main tab: use CRF (constant quality) between 12 and 14, tune: Animation, AVC: High profile, AVC Level: 4.2. Tab Rate Control: set quantizers 0, 40, 4. Tab Analysis: Me range: 32, ME Algorithm Multi Hex and Subpixel: 11, Trellis 2. You can check here some examples: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=139765

About encoder time: 5fps is not bad, even with a good PC, some filters will not use as many cores as they are old. In general, a simple encoder takes 2 hrs, an encoder with an extremely configured script can go from hours or days (insane).

Be careful with the crop, when cutting bars you should not stretch them disproportionately. Use YodaResize to calculate with Mod4.
 lancozresize not good choice, use o Spline36Resize(640, 480).  Assuming you cut 2px in each direction, its resolution is: 636x476 (display: 716x476), you can give resize to: 652x488 (0,07% error) or 728x544 (0,08% error), the maximum not to turn one upscale.

Remember to check the fps of your video, not to use something different.
Some DVDs are PAL (25fps), do not use Tdecimate on them, keep the 25fps (check with Media-info you DVD or Remux).
Tdcimate 30fps to 24fps only.

Edited by Kuronoe
  • Like 1

noctis90210
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kuronoe said:

Be careful with the crop, when cutting bars you should not stretch them disproportionately. Use YodaResize to calculate with Mod4.
 lancozresize not good choice, use o Spline36Resize(640, 480).  Assuming you cut 2px in each direction, its resolution is: 636x476 (display: 716x476), you can give resize to: 652x488 (0,07% error) or 728x544 (0,08% error), the maximum not to turn one upscale.

Remember to check the fps of your video, not to use something different.
Some DVDs are PAL (25fps), do not use Tdecimate on them, keep the 25fps (check with Media-info you DVD or Remux).
Tdcimate 30fps to 24fps only.

Thanks for those megui setting and spline36resize, i saw in avisynth wiki that its better compared to lanczosresize... 🙂

and about tdecimate... originally my source is 29.970 fps...

then i used your parameter "Tdecimate(rate=23.976)"... the 29.970 becomes 23.976...

do you think its good? or should i put 29.970 instead?

if i really need to put 29.970, do i need to change the mode from default/nothing/7 to any modes?

Edited by noctis90210

Kuronoe
Posted (edited)

You need to test, search for a scene with camera panoramica and encoding a cut of a few seconds or minutes, scenes that run from top to bottom or from right to left. This conversion can generate jumps in these scenes, if your sourcer is recorded in 30i, then it is good to keep the 30fps. But if it's 30fps, it will usually skip if you keep.

You can search for a panoramic scene and by:

#
#other filters
#Tdecimate(rate=23.976)
#other filters
#Trim(initial frame, final frame) #the last one.
#

Then encode this piece, if not jumping/grab, your video is 24fps. If you jumping/grab, deactivate the tdecimate and keep the original 30fps and encoding again the cut.

In some cases you can jump or grab (spasms) with both 24 or 30 fps. You can then try QTGMC by erasing fpsdivisor, this parameter in 2 will keep the fps of the video, without the parameter it doubles, resulting in a 60fps video (59,970) without the tdecimate.

For each fps you must adjust the trim, since it changes the marked point.

Edited by Kuronoe
  • Like 1

badguys
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, noctis90210 said:

So you mean Tdecimate is not a good decomber? Since it reduces frames from originally 29 on dvd to 23 encoded video?

I like that 60 progressive with fluid motion that you mention. What plugin/filter should i use in that, and also the parameters, im going to test... Thanks...

I described the settings for Handbrake (based on Vidcoder) that I use for interlaced video.  I'm not sure about your video encoder, but I use variable framerate (Variable Framerate encodings just slow down framerate to compensate for what's detected as repeat frames) to conserve on space since very few players go nuts with (or even don't accept) a file that lacks a constant framerate (even then, the players that don't handle variable framerate well display just take the average framerate reported more than anything).

In Vidcoder, my settings look like this.

Video sizing:

Resolution: SD in 512x384 for 4:3 or 704x396 for 16:9, HD in 1024x576 or 768x576 for 4:3
[I add padding set to "fill" for abnormal ratios since I use vMix with these files, and it stretches every video into either 16:9, 4:3 or 2.35:1]

Video Filters:

Every effect off except for
Deinterlace: Decomb | Preset:EEDI2Bob | Interlace Detection: Default

Video Encoding

Video Codec: H264 10-bit (x264) or H264 (X264)

Framerate: Same as Source (Variable Framerate)
Setting a target framerate while "Variable Framerate" is ticked will make the option change to "Peak Framerate" instead.

Tune: It depends on the source.  If it was compressed already, I may use grain, but I use Film more often than not.

Bitrate: Constant quality (22 for HD, 24 for SD.  I use 28 for HD and 24 for SD when dealing with 8-Bit video)

Encoder Settings: Very Slow [I care to get as much quality out of every byte as possible, and I usually encode stuff overnight so speed is of little problem for 8-bit videos]

Audio Encoding:

For the MPEG-4 standard (which is what I mainly work with), I just tend to stick with MPEG-4 audio.

SampleRate: same as source

Bitrate: 224 kbits/s for stereo [112kbit/s per channel], else 448kbit/s for 6-channel audio [AAC does support surround, and I've seen it go as far as 8 channels (7.1), but nobody takes advantage of it]

Codec: AAC (avcodec) [I use auto passthrough for audio that's already MPEG-4]

Handbrake has three known bobbing methods as of late.

Bob: the full-resolution bobber, doesn't produce a bobbing effect, but can add jittering element into videos, effectively making frames that seem unique.

Yadif (Bob): Yadif can produce jagged lines but doubles the framerate and nothing bobs (much like Handbrake's bobber), however the jagged lines can jitter making artificial frame doubling where there would be none otherwise.

EEDI2 Bob: EEDI2 (Enhanced Edge Directed Interpolation) is mainly for doubling lines, but with the "bob" mode active it can double framerate of the 29.97 lines (25 lines for PAL/SECAM) as well since every line is doubled.  Slow as molasses, but outputs a great result.

Edited by badguys

noctis90210
Posted (edited)

@Kuronoe hello, i just tested the last tips you gave...

i removed tdecimate to retain 29.970 fps... it looks smooth during movements compared with the tdecimate...

then i tested with and without your given setting on megui.

1. without your setting = looks good (small files size=170+MB, encoding 1.8hrs)

2. with your setting = im impressed that those setting will still improve the quality of the video/picture/frames.

The picture  with your megui settings becomes more detailed and still reduces pixelation/grains/noise specially on edges, though size becomes more bigger at 500+MB and encoding becomes much longer (2.5hrs) but i dont care as long as quality is good...

and for the filter that i created:

##########Source##########
FFVideoSource("E:\Video\Pokemon Johto Journeys D1\episode.mkv")
########Deinterlace#######
QTGMC(preset="medium", fpsdivisor=2, edimode="NNEDI3")
ConvertToYV12()
########Thin Lines########
aWarpSharp2(thresh=128, blur=2, type=0, depth=16, chroma=4)
########Dark Lines########
FastLineDarkenMOD()
Hysteria()
toon(0.10)
####Denoise/Blend Color###
deen(meth="m2d", mode=1, thrY=10, thrUV=0, ti=3.0)
#######Sharpener##########
MSharpen(threshold=10, strength=30, highq=true, mask=false)
#######Antiliasing########
maa2()
#######Stabilize##########
Stab()
crop(2,2,-2,-2)
Spline36Resize(640,480)

here is the fruit of your teachings: 🙂

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1S5pil25d6_N2QD8Pf_XxTC9c9iuqaWzH?usp=sharing

0= the DVD

1= encode without tdecimate and without your megui settings

2= encode without tdecimate and with your megui settings

3= PM=Dragons release

thanks for patiently teaching me,

the time i created this thread i know nothing with encoding, but with your help, here it is, i can at least encode old anime from DVDs with good quality. I owe this to you!!!

thanks again and have a nice day!!!

Edit: since google drive uses the youtube video streaming, i think its compressed while viewing it on google drive.

much better ithink if we download it first and watch on the available player on our PC.

Edited by noctis90210

noctis90210
Posted (edited)

@Kuronoe final few question... since i didnt use the auto encode, i only encoded the video... thats why it doesnt contain audio/subtitle...

i dont know if im doing the correct thing:

so i encoded the video, produces an mkv

i encoded the audio separately and it produces an AC3 file.

then on Megui Menu bar, i hover to Tools->Muxer->MKV muxer->new window appear.

on the MKV muxer window, i loaded the mkv video that i encoded with my filter (but with no sound), then i loaded the AC3 file...

then start muxing? am i right?

9lihs2.png

how about applying the subtitle file? I noticed that the source has an srt file. But Megui doesnt have features to extract it.

What can you suggest to extract the subtitle on the source and apply it on MKV muxer?

thanks...

Edited by noctis90210

Kuronoe

Use Mkvtoolnix to mux audios and subtitles as well as to extract. If it is too many files, you can use MKVCleaver, both work the same, but the first one has file limit.

The caption, once you extract it, it can come out as mka or srt. In that case you need to edit it as SubtitleEdit and save it in .ASS format, which allows some effects if you need them.

Megui you will only use for encoding, other functions have more efficient programs. Look at videohelp.com, there's a lot of stuff there.

About your encoder:
You have to opt for ONLY 1 linedarken, I recommend Toon(0.10~0.30) or FastLineDarkenMOD, never in default. Hysteria is a terrible filter, it is blurring its lines, this filter is for Cartoon, it is inaccurate for movies and anime with fine lines.
If you are encoding for own use, then fine. But if you intend to post on trackers or forums, probably the other users will point this out. You can see a lot of that in nyaa.si, where there are many people relatively experienced/old in encoding, but who make these mistakes, weigh the hand in the denoise or linedarken, look for some release of moozzi2 and evaluate for yourself.

In any case, for a start, you did well.
You can check some of my releases in the animebytes or animetorrents tracker (if you participate in these) as the name "黒 Kuro Ookami 狼" is my hobby sub.

• Like 1