Sign in to follow this  
Loli Neko

Epic has stepped up its game...

Neutopia91

Thanks, read about this a few moments ago myself. Could interest lot of people. 

LastReaction

It's good to have healthy competition when it comes to gaming marketplace platforms... but when the newly competing platform is a load of shit, that doesn't really help much. Discord should up the ante; their launcher is amazing since its already built into quite possibly the best communication app of all time, and its really easy to use. I feel like they should start selling major games on their platform, it would definitely gain a huge following and will provide them with revenue to make Discord itself better also.

Rubin
40 minutes ago, Subtle.Edge said:

exclusivity is not competition.

Sure it is. GM>Ford>Mopar>Honda>Toyota etc do not make/sell the competitors product.

The exception is used/trade ins at the dealerships.

The competition in this case are the other games.

Edited by Rubin

Spoony

Exclusivity removes the need to compete. Epic doesn't have to "compete" with Steams store by improving theirs if they simply force people to use their platform rather than give consumers the option of choice.

I think you're misunderstanding what I meant. Sure there is competition between car manufacturers but not in the way I was referring to.

Competition in the sense of a game, is if it's on multiple platforms, what does your service do to compete and entice me to choose your service over the other? Same with consoles. If a game is on both XBONE and PS4, the consumer has a choice and they make that choice based on what specs the consoles compete with one another, how well the online player base is for the game on each console, etc.

So yes, by making games exclusive to Epic's store, Epic is essentially removing the need to compete, and thus it no longer becomes a competition to be better than Steam, and it simply comes down to whether developers are willing to take the exclusive deal. It's an entirely different playing field and Epic has shown it's not capable of competing on any aspects of it's platform.

LastReaction

@Subtle.Edge I think you're missing a big part to Epic's decision: they're an entirely new platform. They need to bring in new users, and the only way to do that is to get blockbuster games on their platform exclusively for now. It makes sense, really. I don't think its removing any need to compete since this is the only way that they will be able to enter the competition against something like Steam which has been around for over a decade and has thousands of titles and millions of users worldwide. The main problem with Epic's store is that the software is crap, and for gamers its just another damn launcher you have to install, open and log into which is pretty annoying.

Its just like when Xbox first came out, you think Xbox would have done well against the PlayStation 2 if they didn't have any exclusive games such as Halo 2?

Spoony

I didn't say not to have exclusives, just that it's the only thing they have going for them and they have shown zero desire to step up their game in any other aspect. Epic doesn't seem interested in adding any core features that are severely needed: reviews, forums, and region-based pricing just to name a few.

If they really desired to compete, why not wait to release the platform until certain features are done? When questioned if such things will eventually be implemented the responses given seem to indicate they have no intention of adding any of this at least currently.

When people buy on Epic, they go to Steam to talk about it, troubleshoot it, etc. If a game is terrible, they can't voice their opinion. Hell I can't even find a list of what games I own on the Epic site. Only way to know what you have is to check the launcher. While because of the lack of region-based pricing, people in various countries cannot purchase when a game costs 4x their rent based on currency conversion, etc.

Another big feature Steam has is that they really push for Linux compatibility. Epic as far as I can see is strictly Windows-based.

Then there is the whole shady aspect of Tencent owning more than 41% of the company. If you're unaware of Tencent, they're known for selling user data in Chinese markets among other various shady practices. I suppose in the days of Facebook & ecetera that matters very little to some people, but to me it's a pretty big deal, which is why I created a brand new email address specifically for use only at Epic. And the security of their site? I can't find any 2FA or anything else, and I just made my account a few months back when they started offering free games just to nab them and test the entire platform out. Guess what? My account has been hacked twice, and required me to reset my password to obtain it back. Reading various gaming sites including Steam suggest Epic accounts being compromised is an extremely common occurrence. Mostly because kiddies are trying to get Fortnite accounts or some shit. I've never played Fortnite nor do I intend to.

Also, currently the store page of the Epic website seems busted. It's like it's not loading the css as all links are blue or purple and images are huge.

I think one of the most upsetting things is how the developers who take the deal with Epic are contractually barred from expressing anything in regards to it. They're not allowed to respond to customers about it for several weeks after release. Such was the case with Ashen before Metro. All along stuff is advertised for Steam, pre-ordered on Steam, etc.. and just hours, days, or weeks before release it's suddenly pulled, usually with zero explanation. I think Ashen was literally pulled less than 12 hours before it was set to release and it took over 3 weeks before any of their developers could legally speak about it. Why does Epic prevent developers from speaking about such deals with the customers who are asking about the product?

In any case, an exclusive at Epic will either mean I won't play the game at all or I'll pirate it instead. I'm simply not willing to give Tencent my credit card number. Luckily so far all the exclusives have been games I don't care about. I mean I was half interested in Ashen, but the shitty decisions made with accepting the deal that made them treat their fans like crap made me lose any desire for not just that game but any game that little studio develops.

I admit the little community aspect bonuses like trading cards and achievements that Steam has are nifty, and it's little knick-knacks like this that entice people, or rather myself at least, to go ahead and purchase it there rather than say GOG or pirate it. Call it gamers epeen or something, but I find it a nice touch. Steam also allows keys to be sold outside of their store, so that games can be purchased at various retailers and at various discounts and bundles. Can you name another platform that allows such things?

LastReaction

@Subtle.Edge The only thing Xbox had going for it when it first came out was exclusives as well. In terms of increasing popularity, that is literally the only way a video game marketplace is going to be able to attract users. There's no other real way besides that. Steam already has every feature that Epic can possibly make for a video game store, so they can't attract new users that way either. In no way am I saying that Epic's store is great, its bad and Steam is much better, but in terms of having an exclusive game for their store, it makes sense since they need people to download their client. That's all I was trying to say lol.

In terms of the whole selling your data thing, your ISP sells your data so I don't really get the argument with that. No matter what your data is being sold to someone, somewhere unfortunately. Tencent owns a share in a LOT of companies, so chances are they already have your data 😂