Sign in to follow this  
Andi

physcial media or streaming/digital/which do you prefer and why ?

Andi
Posted (edited)

I support physcial media as best I can beacuse physcial media is quite frankly better then streaming in quality on blu-ray for one thing another reason why I support it beacuse streaming services have a rude habbit of deleting shows from their services without any warning I buy anything on physcial media dvd or bluray...etc so what do you guys prefer streaming or physcial media/dgital  ?

by the way here is something interesting related to this topic "DVD and Blu-ray sales nearly halved over five years, MPAA report says

In its annual Theatrical Home Entertainment Market Environment report, the Motion Picture Association of America described an immensely sharp drop-off of physical media sales over the past five years. According to the data, which was obtained from DEG and IHS Markit, global sales of video disc formats (which in this context means DVD, Blu-ray, and UltraHD Blu-ray) were $25.2 billion in 2014 but only $13.1 in 2018. That's a drop in the ballpark of 50 percent.Don't expect 8K Blu-rays or other emerging quality-focused formats to turn the tide, either. Market data published by Forbes showed that the aging, low-definition DVD format still accounts for 57.9 percent of physical media sales, and 4K Blu-rays are only 5.3 percent "

Source: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/04/dvd-and-blu-ray-sales-nearly-halved-over-five-years-mpaa-report-says/

You can view the MPAA's  full report here for more details like breakdowns by film, gender, race, rating, and so on

I stongly advise everybody to support physcial media as best they can 

Edited by Andi

Grundy

I still collect physical media dvd / blu-ray and other things like comic books , video games and so on . I prefer physical media but at some point you can only collect that much before you ran out of space , and before you realize it , if you don't collect responsibly , you can end up spending a lot of money on things that you really don't need or want that much  . In my opinion ( although I personally prefer physical ) digital media is the most accessible and cost effective way to collect and unless you are a huge fan of something and you have to buy it , stay digital .

Lunethspark

I much prefer physical media because I like holding the media in my hand and putting the disc into the player. Stuff also looks way better than digital.

Grundy
2 hours ago, Lunethspark said:

I much prefer physical media because I like holding the media in my hand and putting the disc into the player. Stuff also looks way better than digital.

I agree it gives you a little satisfaction , and they look awesome on the shelf .

sfaxt
Posted (edited)

yeah physical is rad esp if you have a large collection so about some 100s or even 1000s of cases you gotta dust from time to time:classic_tongue: and space.

thats the main reason i always prefer digital a long time now, even when i buy. and i still have 3-4k dvds from earlier times i wanna ditch, but its hard.

indexing and knowing where is what, is much easier too. i dont have a good idea what i have in those dvds tbh:classic_tongue: but i sure know whats in my discs.

but before 2008 or so, dvds were pretty much the only way.

Edited by sfaxt

Rubin

I buy physical media if I really like a show/movie. Especially Gerry Anderson BD's to help support their BD projects.

When it comes to anime I do buy some US BD's but the JP discs are just to steep for my blood unless I can find them used at a good price.

I copy my physical media to my drives so I don't have to handle them and I do collect a lot of BDMV's.

• Like 1

Grundy
14 hours ago, Rubin said:

JP discs are just to steep for my blood unless I can find them used at a good price

I agree , anime physical media it leaves a hole in your wallet especially if you love many series / ova's and you got to have them all .

Andi

I admit I spend big bucks on physcial media but I do not collect every single thing on physcial media otherwise I would have ran out of space long ago in my home however I rather spend big money on dvd/bluray releases because you usually get shows remastered in some degree on dvd/bluray lots of shows do not get released on home media due to music rights and other issues etc...at other times some of the episodes on dvd are edited on them and the original versions are on streaming sites at other times it's the other way around the important thing to keep in mind is that these shows are not going to be around forever on streaming sites mainly due to the fact that they do get rudely deleted from these sites usually without any warning whatsoever unless of course somebody rips them those sites and preservers them if I can't get the shows I want on physcial media then I will download them from the internet (thanks to the uploaders of course)that being said I am happy that this is being released on blu-ray soon for everybody to enjoy on bluray I like scooby-doo a lot so I will be upgrading to the blu-ray edition definitely in this case for this release

https://www.wbshop.com/collections/movies-and-tv-pre-orders/products/the-new-scooby-doo-movies-the-almost-complete-collection-bd

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=316411

dnautics
Posted (edited)

I have a physical media collection (mostly USA anime bluray). It's expensive yea, but at least it will always be there if I want to watch a show again unlike streaming. My collection is only my favorite shows that I will watch again and again which is limited to about 75 anime titles or so. There are some blurays that I want but just can't justify the price so I pirate those through torrenting. I think it is cheaper to simply buy storage than to buy bluray but I don't mind the extra price and saves me from having 100 hard drives lying around. If I had more anime favorites (thank god i dont) I would have to go the storage route because blurays are damn expensive.

Edited by dnautics

Grundy
18 hours ago, Andi said:

keep in mind is that these shows are not going to be around forever on streaming sites

Yes , I agree with that . That is why I buy only stuff that is not that well known and of course , stuff that I really like ( doesn't matter if it's a blockbuster or if it can be found on streaming forever ) . In my opinion , digital media like super well known animes or animated movies will always be there , eather streaming or sharing / torrents sites , so there is really no need to have the physical media , unless you are a collector or a fan .

Sparrow86

I personally prefer digital media I had a collection of DVDs most movies and some were ruined with moisture

Andi
43 minutes ago, Sparrow86 said:

I personally prefer digital media I had a collection of DVDs most movies and some were ruined with moisture

sadly the problem with dvd discs seem to be getting worse as you can see with this topic

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/warner-dvds-not-working-thread-watch-to-make-sure-they-still-play.351260/

same thing happened to me also I was forced to get replacement discs for a series I had on dvd :classic_sad:

PizzaCat
22 hours ago, Andi said:

sadly the problem with dvd discs seem to be getting worse as you can see with this topic

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/warner-dvds-not-working-thread-watch-to-make-sure-they-still-play.351260/

same thing happened to me also I was forced to get replacement discs for a series I had on dvd :classic_sad:

I know this is also an issue with video game discs. Referred to as "disc rot". 

sfaxt
Posted (edited)
On 4/21/2019 at 10:20 PM, dnautics said:

I think it is cheaper to simply buy storage than to buy bluray but I don't mind the extra price and saves me from having 100 hard drives lying around. If I had more anime favorites (thank god i dont) I would have to go the storage route because blurays are damn expensive.

well lets take monogatari eg.

i have an extensive collection weighing about 1tb. i got everything bdmv/bdremux, rips extras and more. so lets say storage cost about 30 eur/$? lets say ~50 with backups.

poor availability aside aniplex usa is going to reissue 2nd season bds @ $200 

and thats about a quarter of the series.

and we talk about usbd  and a fresh release, because many others being out of print are way more expensive.

id say a realistic price to have everything monogatari in BD would cost roughly 1000$ or more... so yeah storage is a lot cheaper:classic_tongue:

Edited by sfaxt

dnautics
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sfaxt said:

well lets take monogatari eg.

i have an extensive collection weighing about 1tb. i got everything bdmv/bdremux, rips extras and more. so lets say storage cost about 30 eur/$? lets say ~50 with backups.

poor availability aside aniplex usa is going to reissue 2nd season bds @ $200 

and thats about a quarter of the series.

and we talk about usbd  and a fresh release, because many others being out of print are way more expensive.

id say a realistic price to have everything monogatari in BD would cost roughly 1000$ or more... so yeah storage is a lot cheaper:classic_tongue:

Yea it just depends on what your buying really. I think most of my collection is cheap funi titles, and about 15% Aniplex. Luckily I don't like very many ultra expensive anime like Monogatari. Hard drives are always cheaper but I like to watch on the TV and I get tired of re-encoding (transcoding?)  everything in order to watch it. I also get tired of mirroring my storage the old fashioned way (don't have a raid box). Like I said I would go the storage route though if you just like 100's of anime. Luckily I don't like 90% of what I watch enough to buy it and what it comes down to I enjoy the artwork, the boxes, and the whole simplicity of it. 

Edited by dnautics

Cgermino1989

I gotta go with physical media as well. I have accumulated quite a lot of series on DVD/Bluray. I prefer physical media especially when I'm up-scaling a cartoon. I try to not upscale someones encode as I like working with the original source myself.