ani-me

Hidden Indie Gems

ani-me

I am not what I want here, or what I wanted to achieve..just wanted to something..hehe

Mainstream games are well, main stream, and you always end up hearing about them one way or another, even if they are not good.

However, when it comes to Indie games, little attention do they receive, even the good ones.

So, how about listing some of them best, or even just good, Indie games that you might have to share. Or any hidden gems, that may not technically be Indie, but is good not popular enough.

Also, I think it's ok to provide good stores/resources for Indie games.

I'll start with recent game I played recently

windowframe - Free. It's quite fun and something completely new. It's a short game. Definitely worth a try.

I ended up another game by the same developer, unknowingly, and it too was quite good. This developer has a knack for strange game designs I believe.

Even though I don't play a lot of games, for those interested, as for stores, I almost exclusively only try itch.io.

They are great, have huge catalog and a lot of free, cheap and discounted stuff.

(Also, I am dev too and publish my stuff there. But I don't think I'd like to share my username 😅 Nothing good on my profile yet!)

Note:

Please refrain from recommending AAA or large production titles. This might be a bit ambiguous, so please use your best judgement.

• Like 1

Lelvanysh

My favorite indie game and one that i cannot recommend enough is Hollow Knight - It's a Metroidvania. I love just about everything about this game and how it manages to balance everything just right. It has a very rich lore and we discover the story through the various interactions we have with all the NPC characters. I particularly loved Christopher Larkin's Soundtrack Composition and still listen to several tracks from it even outside the game. The controls are also very intuitive, which is especially important for me because i play these games with a keyboard and don't have a controller. The importance of decent and intuitive controls became even more apparent to me after i played another similar indie title where the devs probably didn't know what kind of controls they wanted... All in all, the combat was very well balanced with the platforming aspect of the game. The game has some of the toughest boss fights you will ever face and one can easily spend several hours trying to defeat a particular boss or trying to get through a platforming stage. Also, this game has five endings for you to explore.

Hollow Knight really sparked my interest in indie games which is when i actively began to explore more & more titles in this genre. I can safely say that i enjoyed the below games and Hollow Knight much more than some of the AAA titles i have played previously.

LIMBO & Inside: These are 2 separate Puzzle Platformer games from Playdead. Limbo was released first and then Inside was its colored spiritual successor (Limbo has black & white tones). Both are excellent imo although INSIDE is generally considered better. I personally really loved the puzzles - they were always very creative (and weird) and it never really felt like they were getting repetitive what with the story keeping me engaged as well. These games are usually praised for their eerie atmosphere and the themes they explore. I honestly had many startling & unnerving moments during my own playthrough of both games.

Ori and the Blind Forest: I played this one last month and I must say it would be my favorite platformer had i not played Hollow Knight already. This game had a lot of similarities with HK in several aspects. It had a wonderful soundtrack and you can easily catch me launching the game only so i can listen to the beautiful melody that plays in the game menu. The characters are also very endearing and lovable and the visuals are stunning. The story was kinda cliche and predictable but was executed very well and the beautiful cutscenes more than made up for it. The mechanics are my biggest complaint with the game. The combat was very shallow and underdeveloped and majority of the stages are about platforming to the point that it really overshadows the combat. The key bindings are also fixed and a little unintuitive. The special abilities are also not nearly as well thought out as they are in HK. What surprised me the most was how most of the pickups and some of the special abilities are optional for plot completion and on the other hand, acquiring them makes the game too easy. Regardless, they are only minor upsets as the game was still very enjoyable overall and i will still be looking forward to the upcoming Ori and the will of the wisps sequel.

What remains of Edith Finch: This one is what you can call a walking simulator or a first person exploration game. It comes highly recommended if you are looking for a game with a compelling narrative and one that doesn't involve solving tough puzzles or beating crazy hard bosses. You assume control of the titular character Edith Finch who is looking to unravel the mystery of the Finch family curse where all but one member of the family die unusual and untimely deaths. You discover the various stories by interacting with your surroundings and whatever objects you come across as Edith recalls her family's past.

• Like 1

ani-me

Yeah!!! The first participant!!!

On 9/3/2019 at 5:29 AM, Lelvanysh said:

My favorite indie game and one that i cannot recommend enough is Hollow Knight

This one has been in my wish list for so long, I just haven't had the time to play it yet.

Heard so so so much about it. I most definitely will be starting it (or one other I have in mind) after I complete Witcher 3

LIMBO & Inside: These are 2 separate Puzzle Platformer games from Playdead. 

I have played Limbo, and loved it as well. Didn't know about Inside. Definitely gonna have a look.

Another one in to-play my list. But a bit lower in the list. Not sure if ever will be able to get there

Never heard of this one. Sounds interesting. If you liked it, I think you might also like Return of the Obra Dinn. I haven't played it, but it is also on my list, and sounded bit similar. It's considered one of the best mystery games of the time, with a very unique gameplay.

Edited by ani-me
  • Like 1

Lelvanysh
35 minutes ago, ani-me said:

Never heard of this one. Sounds interesting. If you liked it, I think you might also like Return of the Obra Dinn. I haven't played it, but it is also on my list, and sounded bit similar. It's considered one of the best mystery games of the time, with a very unique gameplay.

Thanks for the recommendation! I guess this is what i'll be playing today then.

sfaxt

some of my favorites, according to my steam list :P

bastion

legend of Grimrock 1+2

deponia trilogy

Rochard

Transistor

Papo & Yo

trine trilogy

Orcs Must Die!

Deathspank 1+2

Brütal Legend

papers please

the cave

DLC quest

• Like 1

ani-me
On 9/4/2019 at 1:03 PM, Lelvanysh said:

Thanks for the recommendation! I guess this is what i'll be playing today then.

Let me know how it is. I really want to try it.

Actually, I am pretty sure I am going to try it regardless of what you think of it.

On 9/4/2019 at 9:49 PM, sfaxt said:

some of my favorites, according to my steam list 😛

bastion

legend of Grimrock 1+2

deponia trilogy

Rochard

Transistor

Papo & Yo

trine trilogy

Orcs Must Die!

Deathspank 1+2

Brütal Legend

papers please

the cave

DLC quest

Nice list. I have played some of them, while most I am hearing for the first time.

The game I mentioned above, Return of the Obra Dinn, is by the same developer as Paper, Please, iirc.

• Like 1

sfaxt
On 9/6/2019 at 9:27 AM, ani-me said:

Nice list. I have played some of them, while most I am hearing for the first time.

The game I mentioned above, Return of the Obra Dinn, is by the same developer as Paper, Please, iirc.

yeah. havent played this one yet. sure will at some point.

btw all the games i recommended above are all games i played a lot, well above 10 hrs for most, so its not just a generic list of acclaimed indies i barely checked.

---------------

and  some bonus honorable mentions i forgot. all 3 are point and clicks.

the dream machine

kentucky route zero ( this one is unfinished and 5 year old game. final act is yet to be finished. But theres a good chance it ll finish in the next 1-1,5 year😝)

so maybe its worth a spot on your wishlist)

and  lastly even though i dont classify it myself as indie (though most do) Book of unwritten tales.

Edited by sfaxt

ani-me
On 9/13/2019 at 3:34 AM, sfaxt said:

the dream machine

kentucky route zero

Book of unwritten tales.

Some other great looking indies I must say.

I tried another one recently, "Sky Farm". It's good, specially if you like the genre.

IcyHell

A lot of good indies are mentioned above like Transistor, INSIDE, etc. I have some more suggestions.

VA-11 Hall-A

If you a anime fan then you must play this. Lots of waifus and memes =). Besides of that, bartending in a small pub in a cyberpunk world with people talking about lives is quite relaxing, and the music are great, too. The devs are also going to release a sequal.

Zachtronics

If you are a geek you can try out their games, like TIS-100, SHENZHEN I/O, ExaPunk, etc. They are not really related to anime or cartoonish style in general, but they are great puzzle games.

The Eternal Castle

This is a rarely known title with a retro styled graphics. Its outdated pixelated 4-bit colored images really copes with its gameplay and sci-fi vibes.

GRIS

I JUST HAVE TO RECOMMEND THIS. THIS ONE IS  G O L D. Just visit the steam store and watch the reviews. Don't quit it until you understand its story. You'll be AMAZED! Also with great soundtracks!