Bardon

A Newbie's guide to Uploading/Filehosts?

Bardon

Well in my case, I wouldn't EXACTLY be a newbie.......but I'm sure as hell rusty enough to look like one. >.>

Context: Last time I actively uploaded anything, Megaupload was still around. (as in, a whole bloody ANCIENT era ago)

At the moment, all I know is that Mega and Gdrive seems to be the staple when it comes to doing multiple projects. And maybe if you're a paid user, then supposedly you can dump it all under one account rather than duplicating for the sake of more space. But my question here, is whats the EASIEST method out of em all?

If not fully getting back in the game, at the very least I wanna repost the older stuff that I've kept around/been scavenging for in other places. But at the same time, I've also grown a little "lazy" to say the least. 😛 

So maybe some pointing in the right direction on how to get started on that without pulling too many muscles? And could also make something out of it for future folks that wanna join in the contribution.

Cryptic

there really isn’t a simple solution for the free user. your best bet is to get your stuff on a seedbox and seed the torrents. that and also rclone your stuff on mega

there’s also this I mentioned on another thread you can do if you have the bandwidth

Solaufein
Posted (edited)

Cryptic is right in that it's not simple exactly, but I have a workflow that works for me.

The reason I still use mega.nz is because:

1. They offer 50gb for free.
  2. You can create multiple accounts using the same email address.

But both of those have caveats. When you create a free account, you get 15gb permanent and 35gb for 30 days. However, even if you're over 15gb after 30 days, they don't delete anything. You just can't upload more. As for creating multiple accounts, they require a "unique" email address, but gmail allows you to use an unlimited number of unique-looking addresses using the same account. You can add unique identifiers to your address using the + symbol. For example, [email protected] and [email protected] both get delivered to [email protected], but Mega sees them as two unique addresses. So you can sign up for Mega with that and retrieve the verification email with your main account.

So I maintain 4 15gb accounts where I add smaller projects or ongoing stuff like I do for LostYears where I know the project won't be completed within the 30-day time limit. Once I have 50gb of completed projects accrued on those 4 accounts, I create a new 50gb account and copy them all over to that (which you can do quickly and easily using a button within Mega- no need to reupload), update any links I may have posted here, and then delete the files from the 15gb accounts to free up space again.

I'd also be interested to hear @ani-me's workflow since he also seems to use Mega quite a bit.

Edited by Solaufein

Bardon
6 hours ago, Cryptic said:

there really isn’t a simple solution for the free user. your best bet is to get your stuff on a seedbox and seed the torrents.

Yeeeeeeeah I've heard too many folks talk about seedbox supposedly being the "best" option over the years, but never actually saw anybody actively use one in the same social circle before. So everytime I get suggested that, I'm basically given a blank slate to work with. As in, most of said suggestions just involve me grabbing a server and manually setting up my own box in it. Now remember my bit about being a little lazy? Well if there isn't anyone that could walk me through that, then I just simply can't be arsed to learn how to do it on my own. (Not to mention if I'm investing money into it anyway, then of course I'd like to get it all sorted right off the bat)

@Solaufein So those 4 accounts of yours have been the same ones you used for how long now? And you've just been juggling between those 4 ever since?

Alternatively, what would your opinion be on me going for a full Pro account on Mega?

Solaufein
21 minutes ago, Bardon said:

@Solaufein So those 4 accounts of yours have been the same ones you used for how long now? And you've just been juggling between those 4 ever since?

Pretty much. I've been using Mega for about a year. 13 accounts so far. 4 15gb for short-term storage, the rest of them consolidated archives taking up as close to 50gb each as I could. Fate/Kaleid took up 3 accounts by itself, 3 more for Red vs. Blue, 1 for miscellaneous smaller projects, and 2 mirroring karios's stuff. Date A Live III, Violet Evergarden, Fruits Basket, The Promised Neverland, and Infinite Burst are still on the 15gb accounts. That'll end up being about 30gb by the time Fruits Basket and Neverland end. Should have room for a couple more 12-episode web releases and then I'll move all of them over to a 14th account.

35 minutes ago, Bardon said:

Alternatively, what would your opinion be on me going for a full Pro account on Mega?

I don't see any incentive to do so, personally. I see Mega as a last resort for people who can't or, more likely, won't use torrents. They could be paying for a VPN and torrenting safely for a lot cheaper than I could be paying for terabytes of hosting.

Cryptic
42 minutes ago, Bardon said:

Yeeeeeeeah I've heard too many folks talk about seedbox supposedly being the "best" option over the years, but never actually saw anybody actively use one in the same social circle before. So everytime I get suggested that, I'm basically given a blank slate to work with. As in, most of said suggestions just involve me grabbing a server and manually setting up my own box in it. Now remember my bit about being a little lazy? Well if there isn't anyone that could walk me through that, then I just simply can't be arsed to learn how to do it on my own. (Not to mention if I'm investing money into it anyway, then of course I'd like to get it all sorted right off the bat)

feralhosting.com is a great service. they set the stuff up for you and have a helpful wiki to setup things like rclone

43 minutes ago, Bardon said:

I wouldn't. I'd suggest a seedbox or gsuite with a domain, but that takes some work. not too much, but you being lazy and all...

ani-me
20 hours ago, Cryptic said:

there really isn’t a simple solution for the free user. your best bet is to get your stuff on a seedbox and seed the torrents. that and also rclone your stuff on mega

If you are ready to spend, and prefer torrents, then yes, I too would recommend seedbox, though I haven't used any...as they are all paid

20 hours ago, Cryptic said:

there’s also this I mentioned on another thread you can do if you have the bandwidth

This is also something that looks really tempting to try, however, I have not been able to create a gmail account with phone no. verification, and I don't want to associate my "main" gmail account with well, piracy..

17 hours ago, Solaufein said:

I'd also be interested to hear @ani-me's workflow since he also seems to use Mega quite a bit.

wow....I never though of using gmail account like that, despite knowing how gmail treats all those as the same account...

Anyway, my workflow is not all that different, except I create new MEGA accounts with actual unique email addresses

Last I counted, I had like 35 MEGA accounts, all with anywhere b/w 49GB to 70GB content

I also maintain a Google Spreadsheet for all the credentials, which content is uploaded to what account, and also, store the public links in there, so that I don't have to go back in case I need a link quickly

Honestly speaking, this process can be over simplifies as MEGA provides API, but I just have not bothered to look into it

Since, I don't create stuff, simply re-up others stuff, so I easily end up with more than 50 GB worth content o upload very quickly, so whenever I feel like uploading, I find about 50 BG content, create a new account in incognito window, upload all that 50GB in one go, then then share the links...

Oh, also, MEGA has a policy to deactivate inactive accounts, though I am not sure what the exact criteria for determining "inactive" accounts is...but even accounts I haven't used for like 6 months are active, so I try and login every few months.. the only painful step in this free MEGA workflow

13 hours ago, Bardon said:

I have accounts as old as 2 years, all are still operational

13 hours ago, Bardon said:

Instead of MEGA pro, you can go for

• MEGA Business (better pricing then MEGA pro,  need at least 3 accounts, unlimited storage/traffic)
  • GDrive Suite (need at least 5 accounts for unlimited storage, else limited storage, a more popular choice here)

Both are priced almost the same per user per month, and both are quite reliable services, so I think both are good choices, I use both for both personal and work as well, so I can say that both are quite good

though I am not sure how unlimited is MEGA's unlimited, pretty sure a few TBs shouldn't be an issue, GDrive's Unlimited is quite large (as seen in one of LTT's video)

Bardon
14 hours ago, Cryptic said:

I'd suggest a seedbox or gsuite with a domain, but that takes some work. not too much, but you being lazy and all...

1 hour ago, ani-me said:

Instead of MEGA pro, you can go for

• MEGA Business (better pricing then MEGA pro,  need at least 3 accounts, unlimited storage/traffic)
  • GDrive Suite (need at least 5 accounts for unlimited storage, else limited storage, a more popular choice here)

Both are priced almost the same per user per month, and both are quite reliable services, so I think both are good choices, I use both for both personal and work as well, so I can say that both are quite good

though I am not sure how unlimited is MEGA's unlimited, pretty sure a few TBs shouldn't be an issue, GDrive's Unlimited is quite large (as seen in one of LTT's video)

Hmmmm, funny thing about G Suite is that I was already looking into it for my current job of re-organizing everything at my family's company. I didn't consider that the extra space could be used for my other stuff, though it will require a "bit" of compartmentalizing to keep from raising too many eyebrows.... 😛 

If you do use it yourself, then I'd certainly like to inquire in detail about it in regards to both work and this "extra curricular" of ours. (lol)

ani-me
On 5/30/2019 at 4:30 PM, Bardon said:

Hmmmm, funny thing about G Suite is that I was already looking into it for my current job of re-organizing everything at my family's company. I didn't consider that the extra space could be used for my other stuff, though it will require a "bit" of compartmentalizing to keep from raising too many eyebrows.... 😛 

If you do use it yourself, then I'd certainly like to inquire in detail about it in regards to both work and this "extra curricular" of ours. (lol)

I have never used GDrive for anything illegal or shady...So can't say for sure, but maybe you should keep separate accounts for your family's business and for sharing anime.

My usage:

G-Work: I had a Google account (not @gmail, @google) from my last company, which came with unlimited Google Benefits, not just Drive, and most of our work was done on Google platforms. So, yes, Drive was really reliable, even when the whole team had more than several TB of data, including so many different types of files. Some Google Docs were in 100s of MBs and GBs (I am being honest, they were mostly DB to CSV dumps), yet we had no issues.

G-Personal: I meant like personal, not for sharing content. I often back-up important stuff there. Nothing too fancy.

MEGA-Work+Personal: What you are doing for your family business, I have done that twice in 2 different cases, once for my family's company, and another time for friends college+work stuff. In both cases GDrive's free 15 GB were not enough. Also, I have some of my projects up on MEGA as well, on my actual personal account, for more than 5 years now, iirc. No issues what so ever. Never found it down, or had any issue with the sync or anything.

Also, they added version control (or something) feature some time back, which is great for work stuff.

MEGA-Anime uploads: Have been doing this with fake free accounts for quite a long time now, no issues. afaik, only one of my link has been taken down till date, which I think I know the reason for.

Overall, I think both are great. GDrive is backed by a huge company, so it surely is there to stay for years (hopefully). While MEGA is improving everyday, so I think it is a good sign.

PS: oh, MEGA did put a very unreasonable bandwidth on free users. GDrive too has a limit, but they don't disclose how much (believe it is dynamic), but in my experience they are more generous than MEGA.