Sign in to follow this  
StardustNightwind

Blu-ray anime with subtitles?

StardustNightwind
Posted (edited)

I'm thinking about ordering a tooooooon of anime from Japan or amazon or wherever I can. I want Japanese language only so I'm wondering will I get the subtitles in the Blu-ray? Also do Blu-rays from Japan have english subtitles?

So: 

From what country do I have to order to get Jap audio with Eng subtitles on the Blu-ray?

Do I get Eng subs from Japan Blu-rays?

Blu-rays from what countries have PCM/DTS lossless audio in case I would want a show with Dual-Audio?

Don't mind me and the shipping prices... I wouldnt mind even if a BD Box was 500 euros.

I'll just order so much I can't carry.

the-mystic-archives-of-dantalian-the-com

704400052804-anime-planetarian-ovas-movi

Edited by StardustNightwind

Hark0n
8 hours ago, StardustNightwind said:

From what country do I have to order to get Jap audio with Eng subtitles on the Blu-ray?

Only English speaking country releases will mostly have Japanese audio and English subtitles and even then there are exceptions (e.g. Persona 4 The Animation)

Do I get Eng subs from Japan Blu-rays?

Only some releases have English subtitles, most of them do not.

Most things Ghibli will have English (and other major language) subtitles, but they are released by Disney in US, so, unlike other US distributors, video and audio quality is pretty good (arguably better than Japanese releases in some cases - see this somewhat outdated thread for notes on that https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=198117)

Box set releases are also more likely to have English subtitles in them, but that is also not the general rule and majority will have either Japanese subtitles (closed captions) or no subs at all.

Blu-rays from what countries have PCM/DTS lossless audio in case I would want a show with Dual-Audio?

PCM and DTS are audio formats and do not affect language selection, so I am not entirely sure what you mean by this.

Some Japanese BDs will have English audio (short list of some of them is available here - https://kametsu.com/topic/45209-list-of-japanese-blu-rays-with-english-audio-community-input/), but still your best bet is English speaking country releases (US, UK and Australia).

On a side note, I don't know what your playback setup is, but if it is a hardware player, you should also check BD regions before buying anything. You mentioned euros, so I assume you are from Europe (region B) and BDs from Japan and US (region A) might not work on some players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

StardustNightwind
Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2019 at 10:00 AM, Hark0n said:

Only English speaking country releases will mostly have Japanese audio and English subtitles and even then there are exceptions (e.g. Persona 4 The Animation)

I see. So best way would be Amazon UK, I guess...

PCM and DTS are audio formats and do not affect language selection, so I am not entirely sure what you mean by this.

Sorry I didn't describe that well enough. I meant there are only several shows in which I like the quality of English voice actors, so in those cases I would get them in dual audio but I want to be sure the english audio format on the BD would be any of the high bit-rate lossless formats, not lossy 192 kbps (that's just my personal preference). I am worried becaude I once read somewhere that US anime BDs only have lossy 192 kbps audio in recent years. Is that true?

On a side note, I don't know what your playback setup is, but if it is a hardware player, you should also check BD regions before buying anything. You mentioned euros, so I assume you are from Europe (region B) and BDs from Japan and US (region A) might not work on some players.

I have a selection of hardware BD players to buy... some are stated as "region free" I think. Would that work for BDs from any region?

Also thank you for the all the advice!

Hark0n
3 hours ago, StardustNightwind said:

I see. So best way would be Amazon UK, I guess...

Can't comment on specific resellers, but likely yes. Video quality is occasionally lower than US releases, but it is also occasionally higher, so there is no clear general rule as far as I know.

I am worried becaude I once read somewhere that US anime BDs only have lossy 192 kbps audio in recent years. Is that true?

That is not true for majority of releases. From recent releases, only Aniplex of America has done that (e.g. Fate/Zero) and some releases from small or closed distributors like Bandai Visual (e.g. K-On!). The "big" US distributors - Sentai Filmworks and Funimation - usually have losless audio for all tracks (there still are exceptions of course). Unfortunately I can't comment much on other distributors (UK and Australia) as their releases rarely are shared online.

I have a selection of hardware BD players to buy... some are stated as "region free" I think. Would that work for BDs from any region?

I don't have a BD player, so I can't say for sure, but I was under the impression that all hardware (and several software) players are region locked in some way (some allow changing region limited number of times). I have a BD drive in my PC and I have to rip anything to HDD before playing due to encryption, but once that is done there are no other issues.

• Thanks 1

StardustNightwind
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Hark0n said:

I don't have a BD player, so I can't say for sure, but I was under the impression that all hardware (and several software) players are region locked in some way (some allow changing region limited number of times). I have a BD drive in my PC and I have to rip anything to HDD before playing due to encryption, but once that is done there are no other issues.

EDIT

I think I will just go for Sony UBP-X800M2 or UBP-X800M2 BCE to be safe. Has stated BD Region A,B,C and DVD Region 1-8. Guess that's it then. Good thing I went to recheck the players.

Anyway, thanks for all your help and time to talk to me. I  appreciate it.

Tbush
Posted (edited)

I tried looking a couple months ago, the only 3 places you can buy anime are

From Japan, I've heard of but never seen them have Eng Subs. (Edit: They also cost $80 for 2 or 3 episodes pet blu ray, so 1 season would cost almost $400.)

America through localizers, all but Sentai are infamous for terrible quality and scandals recently.

And Malaysian pirate DVDs which I bought in bulk once thinking they were official and a good way to bypass the terrible western localizers, not realizing that they don't pay for rights to distribution. They release Eng and Chinese subbed only, but the box art is all pirated fanart (I later found out the Konosuba art is just a doujin cover art). I noticed a glitched paragraph on the plot summary on the back, and the video quality is poor and the subs are filled with typos. The only redeeming factor is they have the discs out a month after a season ends, but you're not supporting the industry which is the point of buying in the first place.

Edit: 

I just found out Your Name (Kimi no Na Wa) was released in Japan with Eng Subs. And many game franchises are starting to translate their asian release games and let western fans import them thanks to western anti fanservice censors. Hopefully more by supporting asian released and translated games, more games and Anime publishers will realize they don't need to go through gatekeepers who destroy their product to tap into the western market.

Edited by Tbush
  • Thanks 1

StardustNightwind
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Tbush said:

And Malaysian pirate DVDs which I bought in bulk once thinking they were official and a good way to bypass the terrible western localizers, not realizing that they don't pay for rights to distribution. They release Eng and Chinese subbed only, but the box art is all pirated fanart

Yeah, I feel you. I don't like any fan art. The original art, the original design of characters, that unique look and feel, is what I love most and to me that is one of the most important aspects of my favorite anime. Anything official that consists of original anime art (BD Box artworks, CD art, Fine art Wall Tapestries made of especially fine materials, Figurines) is really lovely and important to me.

7 hours ago, Tbush said:

and the video quality is poor

Yeah that's something I couldn't watch at all. I love beautiful, prefect and clear video/audio quality because to me anime that I love are artworks and masterpieces.

7 hours ago, Tbush said:

And many game franchises are starting to translate their asian release games and let western fans import them thanks to western anti fanservice censors. Hopefully more by supporting asian released and translated games, more games and Anime publishers will realize they don't need to go through gatekeepers who destroy their product to tap into the western market.

Totally feel you brother! Censoring fanservice in games is destroying the lovely Japanese custom and tradition. I don't even understand why some people hate fanservice. But thinking about it, the word "fanservice" itself has an extremely negative connotation even among people who claim to "love" anime. To me it's completely normal to see characters taking showers or swimming in a swimsuit. I will never understand why people have a hatred towards it. Compared to all the sh++ in hollywood movies, fanservice is a blessing. Western anime "fans" hate "fanservice" because of a few weird individuals who use fanservice for corrupt purposes? That's the same like thinking "Lets hate a people and their customs, just because of a few evil individuals in history". Sadly that is just how the majority western anime watchers think. Do you see what it has led to? Anime forums all over the internet have restrictions even on what type of artwork you can post. Even if a show is completely non-hentai, you can't post even an official picture of a main character in a swimsuit: by doing so is risking getting warned by a moderator or worse.

• Thanks 1

Hark0n
14 hours ago, Tbush said:

From Japan, I've heard of but never seen them have Eng Subs. (Edit: They also cost $80 for 2 or 3 episodes pet blu ray, so 1 season would cost almost $400.)

My two cents about the prices - it usually is more closer to $20-40 per volume (assuming we are talking about USD) and only special editions will cost more than that, or releases with more episodes. Unlike US releases, Japanese ones have more bonus features that come with the discs - soundtrack, booklets, posters, special cases, postcards, stickers, calendars, pins, toys, e.t.c. Because these BD releases are often considered as collectors items, there is also an option of buying them second hand - I normally would not recommend that, but from personal experience with amazon.co.jp, it can turn out pretty OK (I got 6 BD volume set with bonus CDs, booklets and cases in mint condition for about 40 EUR including shipping).

• Like 1

Knight

Yeah, normally Japanese BD releases have more extra or bonus features that are left out or not included in US/UK releases. When buying BD/Dvds try to check the region and if you would be able to play it in your player, since BD's are region locked to a country/area.

• Thanks 1