Akatsuki

Vinland Saga, the Viking Berserk?

Akatsuki

I was told that this anime is like berserk only with Vikings? What's everyone take on it so far? Is it worth?

nabiru3

yes, at first I thought the hype just due to wit studio animating this, but it turned out to be a pretty solid anime. I just hope they continue to move along the same setting without much shifting from the original adaptation 

SpoonyBard

I hadn't heard anyone really comparing it to Berserk, and I'm doubtful it would live up to the comparison. They just simply don't tend to do the kind of stuff Berserk was willing to do. Goblin Slayer tried for one episode but seemingly quickly ditched the idea. That's not to say Vinland isn't good in it's own right, just that I don't feel it would be a good comparison to Berserk. Perhaps maybe suggesting that fans of Berserk would love Vinland Saga and vice-versa would probably be true.

• Like 1

Akatsuki
3 hours ago, nabiru3 said:

yes, at first I thought the hype just due to wit studio animating this, but it turned out to be a pretty solid anime. I just hope they continue to move along the same setting without much shifting from the original adaptation 

3 hours ago, SpoonyBard said:

I hadn't heard anyone really comparing it to Berserk, and I'm doubtful it would live up to the comparison. They just simply don't tend to do the kind of stuff Berserk was willing to do. Goblin Slayer tried for one episode but seemingly quickly ditched the idea. That's not to say Vinland isn't good in it's own right, just that I don't feel it would be a good comparison to Berserk. Perhaps maybe suggesting that fans of Berserk would love Vinland Saga and vice-versa would probably be true.

Thanks for the input! Berserk is for sure in it's own tier of anime IMO. I can see what you're saying about Goblin Slayer with its super dark tones in the beginning but it kinda fell off for me.

Kazel
On 7/21/2019 at 7:35 AM, Akatsuki said:

I was told that this anime is like berserk only with Vikings? What's everyone take on it so far? Is it worth?

Yes, absolutely. I hope Wit can do it justice.

18 hours ago, SpoonyBard said:

I've read the manga for both Berserk and Vinland Saga. There is a certain similarity to early Berserk in terms of the Mercenary/Band of the Hawk days. Additionally, the action (both entire battles and individual duels) are amazing. I definitely agree that if you like Berserk then Vinland Saga is a solid recommendation.

Akatsuki
On 7/22/2019 at 6:17 AM, Kazel said:

Yes, absolutely. I hope Wit can do it justice.

I've read the manga for both Berserk and Vinland Saga. There is a certain similarity to early Berserk in terms of the Mercenary/Band of the Hawk days. Additionally, the action (both entire battles and individual duels) are amazing. I definitely agree that if you like Berserk then Vinland Saga is a solid recommendation.

Thank a lot for the reply! I'm not sure if I should wait for the anime to finish airing before I watch it or not. I have a strong feeling I'm gonna be left wanting more!