Kinesty

Baseline For Video Quality

Kinesty

I would like to rip some of my DVDs and Blu-rays and share them here but before I do I just want to get some tips on making something suitable enough for posting.

My technical expertise is better than an "average" person but not nearly as good as some of the members here. When I make stuff for myself, I just use MakeMKV and maybe use Handbrake to take it down to a more manageable size. I also use MKV Toolnix to strip away or add things. Any pointers you might would certainly be helpful.

badguys

There's many things to take into account, such as:

-Framerate: Many pieces of content CG'ed in 60i (e.g. Chromosaurus) or shot on analogue video (e.g. MXC, Baian the Assasin, Jim Henson's various shows and specials) tend to have fluid motions that are difficult to replicate in 60p.  Most gamers (I also do this, too) tend to get around this with line doublers.  For analog, this is accomplished with either hardware (OSSC) while Digital line doublers (EEDI2 Bob) exist.  There are full resolution bobbers that do fine (Handbrakes "Bob" decombing method is full resolution), save for some line jitter.  Also, not everything uses all the frames offered in either video standard, so I don't use a constant framerate, but instead let the encoder determine the framerate (Peak/VFR).

-Resolution: This is one, as the higher the resolution is, the more bits it'll take (unless you want to slow your encoding time).  I use 80% of 720p (height: 576, width: 1024) for HD and 80% of 480p (height: 384, width: 512) for 4:3 SD, while for 16:9 SD, I use a width of 704 and a height of 396. I try to also use resolutions with a modulus of 16, which is why I use those resolutions as well.

-Bitrate: As for visual bitrate, using the Constant Refractor (CRF) is fine at a minimum of either 18 for SD or 20 for HD (the lower the number, the more bitrate it uses meanwhile higher numbers apply more compression.  It's about finding a "happy balance" personally).  You might be able to get away with a higher CRF rate when using 10-bit encoding, but then again I only know about x264, as my processor is old (an HP Elite 500F stock AMD Phenom II X6) and takes some time to produce a 10-bit video at my resolutions.

-Audio: I'd just convert to MPEG-4 audio if you're looking to stream it or compress the audio down (I usually tend to stick with 74kbps for each channel of surround audio, while going for 112kbps for each channel when it's 2 or lower). However, for sharing it here, there's no reason to compress lossy audio (Dolby AC3) further as it's already small enough for most of our userbase.

The most basic thing you can do for sharing here is to just decrypt the disc and mux the main content into MKV files before throwing them on here.  This is the best, but with Blu-Ray content can be big (SD-BD discs are bigger than DVDs, but smaller than Blu-Rays) as they support linear audio (PCM) or lossless compression methods (Meridian Lossless Packing [Dolby TrueHD]/DTS-HD).  There's also the thing of Dolby Atmos encoding, but most people are just fine with the proper audio and have no need for the Atmos track (not to mention that a small number of American movies use it right now), unless the freak minority watching your encode on a home cinema that supports Atmos (I bet most here aren't) is bigger than I believe.

• Thanks 1

Kinesty

Thanks for the tips. I will keep this stuff in mind and hopefully, I'll be sharing some stuff soon.