LastReaction

Nintendo Direct - 2/13/2019

LastReaction

So yesterday Nintendo released their latest Nintendo Direct series, and it was filled with a lot of news and some shocking announcements. I've posted the full video and some highlights below:

Nintendo Direct Highlights

• The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening has been announced for the Switch! It's scheduled to release some time in 2019.
  • Super Mario Maker 2 was announced for Nintendo Switch! They've added more tools, items features, and more. Its scheduled to release on June 2019.
  • Astral Chain, a new exclusive IP from Platinum Games was announced. It's being directed by Takahisa Taura, the director of NieR: Automata and supervised by Bayonetta creator Hideki Kamiya. It's scheduled to release on August 30th, 2019.
  • Oninaki, a new IP from Square Enix's Tokyo RPG Factory was announced. Its coming to Steam, PS4 and Nintendo Switch. 
  • Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition was announced and is coming exclusively to the Switch. Its an enhanced version of the game with newly added character-specific stories and other new features, such as switching from HD graphics to 16-bit retro mode.

SpoonyBard

The DQXI update sounds nice. Link's Awakening is awesome, and Astral Chain looks like it could be good, but I still can't justify $300 for a Switch based on the current library of the system in which less than 5 games interest me. Even if the whole console + handheld all-in-one thing is impressive.

• Thanks 1

LastReaction
9 hours ago, Subtle.Edge said:

The DQXI update sounds nice. Link's Awakening is awesome, and Astral Chain looks like it could be good, but I still can't justify $300 for a Switch based on the current library of the system in which less than 5 games interest me. Even if the whole console + handheld all-in-one thing is impressive.

I see your point, I wouldn't get one for myself for the same reasons; but my little brother wanted one so I got it for his birthday. I just play his for the most part. I'm 100% buying Astral Chain, Its a NieR: Automata & Bayonetta hybrid with some incredible music on top of that. What could go wrong?

Avion

Once again, the rumors were wrong as expected. 

SpoonyBard
Just now, Avion said:

Once again, the rumors were wrong as expected. 

What rumours were those?

Avion

Star Fox Grand Prix by Retro Studios (not Starlink) and Metroid Prime Trilogy

PizzaCat

I'm curious what they are saving for E3 as there was no Animal Crossing news, but honestly I'm very excited about The Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening. Astral Chain looked pretty awesome so I'll be keeping an eye on that. Looks like I have some Castlevania amiibo to preorder too. 

• Like 1

ashven288

Getting a switch for just botw is worth it imo (unless of course you it on the wii u). I got a 3ds just for pokemon (although i picked up Ocarina of Time after beating botw. Maybe that's a bad comparison since the 3ds was significantly cheaper).

Edited by ashven288

LastReaction
4 hours ago, PizzaCat said:

I'm curious what they are saving for E3 as there was no Animal Crossing news, but honestly I'm very excited about The Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening. Astral Chain looked pretty awesome so I'll be keeping an eye on that. Looks like I have some Castlevania amiibo to preorder too. 

E3's gonna be pretty dead this year, but Nintendo might announce some more crazy news to capitalize on Sony not attending this year and instead using the Destination PlayStation event as a conference instead.

PizzaCat

Nintendo Direct was dead for 3DS news, so I'm hoping something will be said at E3 as well as updates to some of the titles they claimed were "coming soon". Emily Rogers predicts the following "news" for Nintendo this year, and she's been pretty decent with leaks in the past. 

The "Most likely" Nintendo-published game announcements for 2019. (70% chance or higher)

1. Mystery game #1
2. Mystery game #2
3. Mystery game #3
4. Mystery game #4
5. eShop game #1
6. Mystery Wii U port #1 (2013 title)
7. eShop game #2
8. eShop game #3
9. New Labo Kit

The "Maybe" games for 2019. (The wild card titles - 50% chance or less)

10. Retro Studios secret game (this is assuming it wasn't canned)
11. Metroid Prime Trilogy (assuming Zell's info and Imran's info are correct)
12. Mystery Wii U port #2

However this list came out right before Nintendo Direct so who is to say. 

Now to get my Switch out so I can download Tetris. 

Golumpa

I remember the days when Nintendo actually made thier E3 show fun, with a cool intro and everything. Last years was a bit of a disappointment imo, just the standard ads they use for normal crap all at once. Hope they don't do the same this year too. 

This one was pure gold... 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

LastReaction
1 hour ago, Golumpa said:

I remember the days when Nintendo actually made thier E3 show fun, with a cool intro and everything. Last years was a bit of a disappointment imo, just the standard ads they use for normal crap all at once. Hope they don't do the same this year too. This one was pure gold... 

Spoiler

Whoever did the special effects for that video is a god.

Kid Boruto

Between this Nintendo Direct and the Pokemon Sword/Shield announcement videos, the Switch has become more enticing to me.

Just need to wait for the right sale and I'll cave in.

EmptyBasket

I don't know how to feel about Link's Awakening's sound track. It sounds like that yoshi's woolly world style of music; I'm getting a  "baby's first game" kinda vibe.

I hope I'm wrong.