gcp89

How to apply fonts to .ass subtitle file?

gcp89

Hey guys, I have a quick question. How do you apply fonts to a .ass subtitle file? If I install the .TTF font files in Windows, will the custom fonts attach themselves to the .ass file automatically when I start up the video file in a media player?

Cryptic

@gcp89 I know this is almost a month late, but the answer to your question is no. to make sure the font will appear as it should, it needs to be muxed into the mkv file as an attachment

SpoonyBard

Some players will load system fonts, but not all of them will. It's best to go ahead and attach the font to the file in mkvtoolnix.

gcp89
10 hours ago, Cryptic said:

@gcp89 I know this is almost a month late, but the answer to your question is no. to make sure the font will appear as it should, it needs to be muxed into the mkv file as an attachment

5 hours ago, SpoonyBard said:

Some players will load system fonts, but not all of them will. It's best to go ahead and attach the font to the file in mkvtoolnix.

Thanks for replying with help, but I actually learned about MKVToolNix being able to attach fonts shortly after I made this topic. I have no clue how you close a topic on this site. lol

Cryptic
28 minutes ago, gcp89 said:

I have no clue how you close a topic on this site. lol

there isn't a way for users to close their own threads. however you can edit them stating you found the answer and no longer need help

Andi
Posted (edited)

wouldn't adding a tag in the OP and marking it "closed" make more sense however.I noticed the request section lacks this feature for some reason. I have some requests that I would like to tag "closed" or "fulfilled" which I made earlier myself and are now fulfilled.

Edited by Andi

sfaxt

well in theory you can put fonts in an mks sub. but generally its not a common format and im unsure how well it works.

the 3 opitons i prefer

remuxing mkv with fonts and sub,

or using edit headers in mkvtoolnix to add fonts without muxing while keeping the actual sub file external. benefit is that its a lot faster than muxing.

never had trouble with just installing the fonts either. at least with mpc and mpv

madrabbit88

I use online converter from .ass to srt. Works fine if you would like to convert an English subtitle. But if I used for example Hungarian subtitle my language is contain accents I have problem after the conversation.