Solaufein

Looking for UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) recommendations

Solaufein

This section of the forum doesn't seem to get a lot of traffic but I figured I'd try here anyway. Anyone have experience with UPSes? I'm looking for a good one to protect my Synology NAS.

Required:

• Signal the Synology to begin auto-shutdown after a certain amount of time on battery or at a specific battery level
  • Provide enough time for the Synology to shut down cleanly

Nice to have:

• Provide enough power to also allow my PC to shut down
  • Allow my cable modem/router to run for a while alone (without the Synology or PC on)

My PC has a 860 W power supply running an i7 and a GeForce 780, but I'll likely be upgrading those in the near future. The Synology has two 250 W power supplies running a total of ten 10 TB Western Digital Reds.

Heero

As far as UPS's go, I have always had good experiences with either Cyberpower or APC units. Another thing to be aware of is the OS/Software that comes with your Synology and what software is provided with the UPS.

Here is a link that goes into greater detail for what you are wanting to do for your "required" portion. 

https://www.rootusers.com/setting-qnap-nas-to-shutdown-on-ups-battery-power/

Here is a link for your "Nice to have" portion. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/183102/how-to-gracefully-shutdown-your-pc-with-a-ups-unit-and-why-you-should/

• Thanks 1

pyr

I've been using Cyberpower for the last 3 years. Even their cheaper models come with a USB or Serial out so you can signal anything with an OS to power off when needed. 

The Cyberpower VALUE2200 would do all you need and would keep your PC going for up to an hour or two (depending on what you're running). I used a similar model it with a laptop and modem for about 6 hours - though that was back when it was only a few months old. Remember that those batteries do wear down after a year or two of use.

• Thanks 1

BumbleCrap

+1 vote for CyberPower. I have a total of four of their 1500 VA mini towers and they've all been rock solid. They work with pfSense and Unraid nicely as well.