Grey

Recommended Specs / Equipment?

Grey

So I'm finally gonna be able to get a PC sometime next year, and I'm gonna ask for recommendations since I want to get into encoding vids and I want a very high quality experience when watching animes too (I'm already using MPC-HC + MadVR).
From my previous experience, I'm thinking that the monitor and CPU are the most important things to consider secondary would be Memory and GPU.

Total budget for the set is somewhere from $400-$900. What's set in stone is I'm definitely gonna get a 1920x1080p 10-bit depth monitor. Although I don't know which one yet. I don't have problems with storage (two 2TB external HDDs, one 500GB SSD), but since I'm gonna be experimenting on encoding, I'm gonna ask for your opinion about SSD vs NVMe SSD. Also, I don't know much about Mobo, case and cooling.

Thanks in advance for replying.

SpoonyBard

If it's about encoding, first thing is you'll want to be able to notice issues and how to filter them.

As for the actual encoding, something fast of course unless you want to spend days on encoding.

On price to output, I'd really recommend AMD's Ryzen line.

$900 is probably a bit low if you're having to include monitor and such. Might need to go lower on graphics card, etc.. in order to fit budget.

If you've already got an SSD, then good.

What else can you keep from your existing build in order to save some cash towards other things?

• Like 1

Grey
8 hours ago, SpoonyBard said:

What else can you keep from your existing build in order to save some cash towards other things?

Well. I've only actually got a laptop so I don't have a build, but let's take away keyboard, mouse, speaker/headphones/earphones.

8 hours ago, SpoonyBard said:

$900 is probably a bit low if you're having to include monitor and such. Might need to go lower on graphics card, etc.. in order to fit budget.

Yes, that's why I'm planning on a mobo that I can easily add upgrades to when needed, like for example a mobo that has an m2 NVMe port. Also, the memory sticks, it would be easy to add more RAM since most mobos have 4 slots tho I'd probably only need 2, and if it is a 2 slot mobo, it wouldn't cost me much on ram sticks because there's spares from some friends I could get.

With that in mind, This is probably the order of priority I have right now: Monitor >> Motherboard >> SU Case >> CPU >> RAM >> GPU >> PSU (and other power related things) >> Peripherals (Wireless, etc)

Edited by DarkBytes

Grey
56 minutes ago, DarkBytes said:

With that in mind, This is probably the order of priority I have right now: Monitor >> Motherboard >> SU Case >> CPU >> RAM >> GPU >> PSU (and other power related things) >> Peripherals (Wireless, etc)

This is what was on my mind when I made this order:

1) Monitor  -  If I'm gonna be into video encoding, editing and watching, I'd need to be able to see it on good monitor, a 1920x1080p 10-bit color depth (this is what I think of a good monitor as of now, as I've never experienced watching anime on one but many encodes are on this spec. So a budget monitor that fits this would be great. Not sure about refresh rates tho.

2) Motherboard  -  as I have said before, It would be best for me to get a mobo that can easily support future upgrades.

3) SU Case  -  as much as the fact that the motherboard is the specs limit, the SU Case would be the space limit. It would need to fit everything.

4) CPU  -  Simply because I think CPU is the biggest factor on speed of encoding and decoding.

5) RAM - easily upgradable, although I might need some brand recommendations for heat problems

rest prob doesnt need explaining.

Grey

Update:

Did a quick research, 10 bit monitors are quite actually costy, I see what you meant. I'd have to sacrifice that and stick with 8 bit for now I guess.

BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P   -   seeing a lot of good reviews on this one. Although it seems this one is more on for gaming.

SpoonyBard

In terms of monitors I'd honestly look for something between 23 to 27 inches with a 1440p display and 144hz. Prices on the low end usually range between $150 to $200 though.

But if you plan on doing much gaming and the like, the refresh rate and resolution would be very beneficial.

If not, there's always a 1080p 75hz 21.5 inch Acer for $90, which might be about as cheap as you can get: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-SB220Q-Ultra-Thin-Frame-Monitor/dp/B07CVL2D2S

I don't have any experience with BenQ, but the one you mentioned sounds great on paper at least as I look at it.

As for MOBOs depending on if you want the latest chipset or you're fine with an older chipset that the Ryzen CPUs still work on, you can save over $100 bucks and go with a cheap $50 B450M such as this one: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813145083?Description=B450&cm_re=B450-_-13-145-083-_-Product

Else, something like the ASUS Prime X570 would be my pick at $149 https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119199?Item=N82E16813119199

CPUs, there is a lot of choices, depending on what you're looking for and what fits your budget, but the Ryzen 5 3600x is the one that I'd go with if it fits the budget. It's about $230.

If not, the Ryzen 7 2700 is about $169. Ryzen 5 2600x is about $147. I wouldn't think you'd want to go much lower than that one though.

Cases are largely more subjected to opinions of what people think look great, so that's something I suggest searching into. Something that allows easy cable management, comes with dust filters built in, a window on the side to see those nights parts if you intend to eventually RGB it out or whatever, some front/top USB 3 ports, and something big enough to support your mobo, etc.

Edited by SpoonyBard

Grey
9 hours ago, SpoonyBard said:

In terms of monitors I'd honestly look for something between 23 to 27 inches with a 1440p display and 144hz

I think 24" 1920x1080p would be the best selection for me right now.

If not, there's always a 1080p 75hz 21.5 inch Acer Acer-SB220Q

My friend over from animation subject recommended me this one: ASUS VZ249HE, from comparing this one is looking better. Although he did say that there's probably a better one than this out there with a close price.

He also recommended me a B450, but it's an Asrock (Asrock B450M HDV) gonna ask him for opinions on GIGABYTE to compare.

CPUs, there is a lot of choices, depending on what you're looking for and what fits your budget, but the Ryzen 5 3600x is the one that I'd go with if it fits the budget. It's about $230.

If not, the Ryzen 7 2700 is about $169. Ryzen 5 2600x is about $147. I wouldn't think you'd want to go much lower than that one though.

He did recommend me Ryzen 5 2600x too, but I think I'd want to go higher if budget possible (because it would also mean that I'd have to upgrade cooler too).

Cases are largely more subjected to opinions of what people think look great, so that's something I suggest searching into. Something that allows easy cable management, comes with dust filters built in, a window on the side to see those nights parts if you intend to eventually RGB it out or whatever, some front/top USB 3 ports, and something big enough to support your mobo, etc.

I'm not a fan of night parts, except for keyboards. Here's what he recommended: NZXT H500 TG

For the RAM, we he recommends G. Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 CL16 16GB 2x8 (looks good) (hope the mobo / psu can support it)

Then for last we have an APC UPS in the list. There's many of them out there and all these power/electricity thing is making me dizzy.

badguys
On 11/24/2019 at 7:15 AM, Grey said:

2) Motherboard  -  as I have said before, It would be best for me to get a mobo that can easily support future upgrades.

3) SU Case  -  as much as the fact that the motherboard is the specs limit, the SU Case would be the space limit. It would need to fit everything.

For the AMD-compatible motherboard, I'd recommend either looking for a Ryzen 3000-compatible B450 motherboard (for compatibility, providing you're looking for a recent Ryzen CPU) or x570 motherboard if you want to possibly use more beefier Ryzen CPUs that may come out, M.2 SSDs,  or connect two Nvidia cards together (SLI).  x470 is also a good chipset choice if you only need two USB3.1 Gen2 ports and don't need too many SATA Express connectors.

You might not need the full speed of PCI Express 4.0 or all 16 PCI-e lanes of x570, but it's nice if you're looking for a NVME hard-drive and it's good to future-proof now so that one doesn't need to get a motherboard again for some time.

As for the case, I'd go for mid-size (ATX) tower cases or larger because MicroATX support is starting to shrink each generation with the all the affordable motherboards for MicroATX being B450-based (no really.  There are two MicroATX x570 offerings, but they're around $160 at minimum where as it's just $30 more for the cheapest ATX offering).

Grey

Lmao, I forgot to update this thread. I already have downpayment for the following components. In a few days I'm gonna be receiving this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Monitor - Asus VG279Q
Case - Cooler Master MasterBox NR600

Motherboard - MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600x

GPU - GTX 1650 Super Windforce OC
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB

HDD - Seagate 1TB Barracuda

SSD - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB MZ-76E250BW

PSU - Corsair CX550M 80Plus Bronze

--------------------------------------------------------------------

These is my first setup yet, and will have upgrades within this year on storage, probably get a 1TB NVMe and another 2 TB external HDD.

In 2 or more years will I only upgrade my CPU because I don't really need it yet, my school works right now don't require much load.
I've researched a lot on the parts here and these are what I can get based on the availability in my country and their prices. I was able to up the budget to $1200, and this was kind of a steal if especially here (someone who didn't give days in time to find all sorts of finding parts from a trusted quality seller for a low price would get this there for probably $1600-2000.

Edited by Grey
Additional content