LastReaction

What are some of your favorite anime studios?

LastReaction

I don't see many topics about this often, so I'll start the trend. Some of my favorite anime studios are Madhouse, Production I.G, ufotable, J.C Staff, CoMix Wave Films, Kyoto Animation, and A-1 Pictures. For those of you who don't know much about anime studios:

• Madhouse - Perfect Blue, Trigun, Monster, Hellsing, Death Note, Claymore, Dennou Coil, Hunter X Hunter, One Punch Man, etc.
  • ufotable - Kara no Kyoukai, Fate/Zero, Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works, Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel, God Eater, etc.
  • Production I.G - Ghost in the Shell, Seirei no Moribito (I just started watching this!), The End of Evangelion, Jin-Rou, xxxHOLiC (a.k.a. @Dethpacito's newborn child), etc.
  • J.C.Staff - Too many anime to list lol, let's just list the Toaru Kagaku and Toaru Majutsu series, Shakugan no Shana, and DanMachi.
  • CoMix Wave Films - This is the studio that Makoto Shinkai works with... that's all that needs to be said there.
  • Kyoto Animation - Ask @ricky horror about this one, he pretty much worships them as a religion.
  • A-1 Pictures - Once again, too many to list lol, just look them up and you'll see that they pretty much have a hand in everything anime.

What are some of yours? 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

sfaxt

shaft, shaft, shaft, ufotable, madhouse, ghibli, brains base. honorable mention: gonzo.

i watch almost exclusively seinen, though i wont say no to some good shounen here and there. but those studios i consider staples for seinen anime.

• Haha 1

SpoonyBard

My favorites are: ufotable, WhiteFox, and Wit Studio.

The shittiest studios are Trigger, J.C.Staff, and Toei.

• Like 1

LastReaction
13 minutes ago, sfaxt said:

shaft, shaft, shaft, ufotable, madhouse, ghibli, brains base. honorable mention: gonzo.

i watch almost exclusively seinen, though i wont say no to some good shounen here and there. but those studios i consider staples for seinen anime.

So what do you think about Shaft? Are they any good?

• Haha 1

sfaxt
Just now, LastReaction said:

So what do you think about Shaft? Are they any good?

not for dub fans :classic_tongue:

LastReaction
Just now, sfaxt said:

not for dub fans :classic_tongue:

LOL facts. Thankfully I'm a fansub elitist, I only enjoy the finest in Japanese hand drawings.

2 minutes ago, SpoonyBard said:

My favorites are: ufotable, WhiteFox, and Wit Studio.

The shittiest studios are Trigger, J.C.Staff, and Toei.

Good picks! Wit Studio is definitely an honorable mention in my book.

HEY! You're a shit studio. 😂

• Like 1

SpoonyBard
11 minutes ago, LastReaction said:

Good picks! Wit Studio is definitely an honorable mention in my book.

HEY! You're a shit studio. 😂

Well I have reasons for thinking so, lol.

Toei couldn't even color in the lines of Sailor Moon Crystal... and Dragon Ball Super ep5 fiasco anyone?

While J.C.Staff can't even make sure they didn't clip people's arms off in the center of a frame, etc.. Index 3 airing has like 3 dozen errors per episode getting fixed on Blu-ray. Though Children of the Whales was beautiful and DanMachi was a great show. MALGraph shows that out of nearly 170 studios on my list, J.C.Staff is in the bottom 7 for average rating and I've seen something like 50 out of 356 entries listed on MAL.

While Trigger literally has released zero worthwhile anime series imo. Everything by them has either been a hard pass, dropped, or mediocre at best. Dropped Kill la Kill after ep1, dropped Gridman after 2 eps, dropped Kiznaiver after 4 eps, etc. I did manage to finish Little Witch Academia, but rated it a 5/10 for average as about half felt like it dragged on far too long and should've been condensed. Was going to watch FranXX cause freeka did a great job with it for LostYears, but never got around to watching it, then decided I may as well wait for Blu-rays, and now idk what the status is or if Blu-rays will even be done, lol.

Edited by SpoonyBard

LastReaction
8 minutes ago, SpoonyBard said:

Well I have reasons for thinking so, lol.

Toei couldn't even color in the lines of Sailor Moon Crystal... and Dragon Ball Super ep5 fiasco anyone?

While J.C.Staff can't even make sure they didn't clip people's arms off in the center of a frame, etc.. Index 3 airing has like 3 dozen errors per episode getting fixed on Blu-ray. Though Children of the Whales was beautiful and DanMachi was a great show. MALGraph shows that out of nearly 170 studios on my list, J.C.Staff is in the bottom 7 for average rating and I've seen something like 50 out of 356 entries listed on MAL.

While Trigger literally has released zero worthwhile anime series imo. Everything by them has either been a hard pass, dropped, or mediocre at best. Dropped Kill la Kill after ep1, dropped Gridman after 2 eps, dropped Kiznaiver after 4 eps, etc. I did manage to finish Little Witch Academia, but rated it a 5/10 for average as about half felt like it dragged on far too long and should've been condensed. Was going to watch FranXX cause freeka did a great job with it for LostYears, but never got around to watching it, then decided I may as well wait for Blu-rays, and now idk what the status is or if Blu-rays will even be done, lol.

We're half way done with the Blu-rays of Franxx but its not dual audio. We had someone doing KFX but they kind of disappeared so we'll probably just use LostYears KFX to finish it.

• Like 1

gsk_

It really is hard to to pick one; I like madhouse for their artwork but they are notorious for not making 2nd season, I dig the animations of ufotable, and I am a sucker for romance so JC staff is also a great studio, A1 pictures I love their colours, recently I am watching zero-g tsugumomo, my room mate is a cat, grand blue and started to like that studio as well, I like PA works for their BG, I like bones how they are loyal to manga, I love manglobe for their eccentric stories but sadly they went bankrupt, sunrise did my all time favourite gintama and code geass, I.G production for their love of sports anime(Haikyuu!! S4 when?) shaft I only liked their monogatari series. *mind overloads* *rebooting* 

So my pick would be ufotable(hurry!!! I picked one).

If I have to say worst studio is pierrot bcz of their too much use of fillers and animation quality reduces as the show goes on (WTF was that fight in black clover ep 63ish(?) literally they were just lines going around as if they were drawn in MS paint) 

• Like 1

Solaufein

My top 10 according to MALGraph (and the shows that put them there):

1. Wit Studio - Attack on Titan, The Ancient Magus' Bride, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, After the Rain
  2. Bones - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, My Hero Academia, Darker Than Black, Eureka Seven, Blast of Tempest
  3. Shaft - Monogatari, Madoka Magica, March Comes in Like a Lion, ef: A Tale of Memories/Melodies
  4. ufotable - The Garden of Sinners, Fate/stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works, Fate/Zero
  5. White Fox - Steins;Gate, Re:Zero
  6. Studio Ghibli - Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro
  7. Production I.G - Ghost in the Shell, Psycho-Pass, From Me to You, Blue Spring Ride
  8. Sunrise - Cowboy Bebop, Code Geass, Planetes, Cross Ange
  9. TMS Entertainment - ReLIFE, Kamisama Kiss
  10. Kyoto Animation - Clannad, A Silent Voice, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, K-On!, Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions!

I'll be honest I've never actually heard of TMS Entertainment, but I've only seen a couple shows by them and rated them all fairly high so that's why their near the top. KyoAni is super hit-or-miss for me. I think they have unarguably the best art/animation by far, but their stories suck half the time. But Clannad: After Story and A Silent Voice are two of my all-time favorites.

Edited by Solaufein
  • Like 2

SpoonyBard

Classic Ghibli was great and reminded me a lot of Disney in various aspects, but the last several films didn't really hold the same charm that Hayao Miyazaki's films did. Arrietty and Ponyo were great, but I'm talking about things like When Marnie Was There, Wind Rises, and Poppy Hill. They were still mostly good, but just not something that would entice the younger kids to pay attention for example.

K1LL3R_R0N1N

David Pro - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Studio Madhouse - Hajime no Ippo, Ninja Scroll, Tenjho Tenge, Hunter x Hunter

Sunrise - Gundam, Cyborg 009, Cowboy Bebop, Tiger & Bunny

I still like most of the other studios like JC and Production IG, but I guess these are my favourite. 

ani-me

I am not sure....but I guess

• KyoAni (beautiful)
  • ufotable (Fate/Series..)
  • MadHouse
  • Production I.G
  • J. C. Staff (I really like that they have a reputation for always completing all shows they start, though I am not certain about it being true)
  • A1
  • Shaft
  • Studio Ghibli (hm...)
  • Trigger? - I can;t remember anything by them, but remember the name
  • Bones (was Soul Eater by them too?)

well, it's more like a list of studios I know of...haha..

Mephiles

Bones, they always impress me.

DarkShame2

Pretty much the above posts have listed most of the good anime studio are what have been known or top/popular in the anime community.

There is also MAPPA, which I have enjoyed their anime so far as they haven;t made a bad/terrible anime(s) so far I think.