Loli Neko

New Changes Are Coming

Grey

Good to know that the site will (probably) survive when the legal changes hit. Wouldn't want to see this down for a long while like Kametsu did.

• Like 4

Swift Nimblefoot

Good call,  I assumed it has been on a russian or chinese server so far already, given how other similar sites worked.

Thanks for your work so far and best of luck!

1 hour ago, Grey said:

Good to know that the site will (probably) survive when the legal changes hit. Wouldn't want to see this down for a long while like Kametsu did.

Why, did it ever come back? I mean I know it still exists but since you cannot upload or share anything I just left it behind.

IkarosBD
1 hour ago, Grey said:

The problem there was a multitude of things but above all else, it hit QUICKLY. I couldn't react in time it hit so fast. AND it was in the middle of my work day so I couldn't break off to respond at all. Y'all know the whole story from that. Difficult time all around...but I digress...

Since I did not want to see the same thing happen here, I started paying close attention to RSS news feeds all over the internet so that I know when stuff's going down. And because I still do care, I sent alerts to Nandato administration soon as I noticed a large number of articles that seemed to indicate an increase in the aggressiveness of anti-piracy/trolling activities and tactics, and that in its current state not even this site may be safe. Far as I was aware these changes were a long-time coming, but after my notice it seemed the schedule for that had to be pushed ahead much more quickly. I'm glad to see my advanced warning was acknowledged.

You're welcome! 😄

EDIT:

6 minutes ago, Swift Nimblefoot said:

Why, did it ever come back? I mean I know it still exists but since you cannot upload or share anything I just left it behind.

It's been back. The community still exists, just the site went legal because we had no choice or say in the matter anymore. Outside of the site, well, I can't control what anyone does off the site 😉

Edited by IkarosBD
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Swift Nimblefoot

Oh you were the admin/mod of Kametsu? Yes I know the site "went legal" but then, everyone visited it for the downloads, so I saw little point of sticking around after those were removed, sorry.

I never understood how this whole thing works. The anti-pirate lawyers have not even touched WatchCartoonOnline, Kimcartoon and the myriad of anime streaming sites ever. I always assumed they are simply on servers that are in a country that does not give jack shit about the US laws. 

Edited by Swift Nimblefoot

Andi
26 minutes ago, Swift Nimblefoot said:

Oh you were the admin/mod of Kametsu? Yes I know the site "went legal" but then, everyone visited it for the downloads, so I saw little point of sticking around after those were removed, sorry.

I never understood how this whole thing works. The anti-pirate lawyers have not even touched WatchCartoonOnline, Kimcartoon and the myriad of anime streaming sites ever. I always assumed they are simply on servers that are in a country that does not give jack shit about the US laws. 

that's were you are wrong not everyone visited it just for downloads, Kametsu is about much more then that, and many people still vist there despite the changes which occured there. I am glad to see it is still around.

Edited by Andi
  • Like 1

rarenight

I'm very glad that the administration of this site is taking steps to decentralize and anonymize everything, because the last thing we need is for some capitalist pig to go after the owner and shut down another great sharing site because of draconian copyright trolling. The existence of this site hurts absolutely no one and deserves to stay online far into the future.

Edited by rarenight
  • Like 3

Swift Nimblefoot
30 minutes ago, Andi said:

that's were you are wrong not everyone visited it just for downloads, Kametsu is about much more then that, and many people still vist there despite the changes which occured there. I am glad to see it is still around.

Good for you, but I only visited it for the downloads and to find rare cartoons and maybe meet likeminded people whom we can help each other with gathering such lost gems. And it was someone whom I met during this who directed me to Nandato eventually. 😉

• Like 1

LOL_123654

Can anyone just Backup ALL Links in a txt file, html file, pdf file or in any other file extention? So that anyone could revisit these links at any time as a last resort if this site "went legal".

DigiPokeMon

You cant tell who is the new owners/admins is ?

I am guessing Koby or and IkarosBD?

Edited by DigiPokeMon

Spoony
44 minutes ago, DigiPokeMon said:

You cant tell who is the new owners/admins is ?

I am guessing Koby or and IkarosBD?

Koby has never had any involvement with the running of Nanda.to and has no desire to get into that sort of thing.

As for this announcement, the whole point is to further anonymize things, so obviously they wouldn't answer you. It would defeat the entire purpose. You'll never know who actually owns the place.

• Like 1

DigiPokeMon

BTW

they need to change the name of the discord server from nandato to nandaru

Spoony
25 minutes ago, DigiPokeMon said:

BTW

they need to change the name of the discord server from nandato to nandaru

Why? As the news stated, the site will still be called Nandato and the nanda.to domain will remain the default.

nanda.ru is just a backup domain.

Edited by Spoony

IkarosBD
4 hours ago, Swift Nimblefoot said:

Oh you were the admin/mod of Kametsu?

One of them, yes.

Yes I know the site "went legal" but then, everyone visited it for the downloads, so I saw little point of sticking around after those were removed, sorry.

I'll be honest with you, I did feel a sort of level of 'disgust' when it became evident what the majority of the people were actually there for, it's almost as if one forgets why a forum exists. But I've moved on past that and I've long gotten over it - I don't fault you or anyone else. It's why I cared enough to alert the administration here after I noticed trolling activity on the increase as well as the aggressiveness of that activity increasing along with it, and it's also why I'm pleased to see them taking the advanced warning I gave them seriously and implementing further protections.

Most times it just happens at random. Copyright lawyers will often crawl the net looking for potential infringement. Not all these sites run offshore hosting, there are sometimes other protective measures they take as well. Also remember that just because the sites you mentioned still exist and are online, doesn't mean that they haven't drawn the attention of lawyers and/or production companies.The steps being taken here now are, in essence, to erect further shielding against takedown attempts.

BlitzEpidemic

This is a good thing, you need to protect yourselves. My only concern is if you all vetted the new owner. I have been on quite a few sites that were all run by one guy who used it for profit, shutting down whenever he got exposed or the 'donations' ran dry.

Diodopdoxfiu

Thank you for this notice, and it is good that you are organizing yourself with respect to copyright, you should never rely on that kind of event, because as the saying goes, prevention is better than cure.
Like many other users, I also like downloads and I'm only here for the downloads and it's not because I don't like this forum or kametsu, but because it's my only source of real fun, so I consider it as a hobby that sometimes bores me, but most of the time I enjoy sharing sincronization made in Spanish in other download forums or trying to help as much as possible.

PizzaCat

@IkarosBD I'm interested in what RSS you were following just for reading. Thank you for caring and alerting staff here so that they could make a change to protect themselves. 

IkarosBD
19 minutes ago, PizzaCat said:

@IkarosBD I'm interested in what RSS you were following just for reading. Thank you for caring and alerting staff here so that they could make a change to protect themselves. 

Some were RSS feeds, others are just bookmarked sites. One of the biggest feeds I follow is TF (TorrentFreak). There are others I watch, of course, but that one by and large is the one I pay most attention to. The rest are just used to verify information.

DigiPokeMon

I wouldnt think so

I would think there would be a forum/site downtime on Tuesday for the server switch

Freakindeed

When trying to access nanda.ru i get the following error in the frontpage:

"A configuration or server error has occurred"

The page kind of load without CSS.

badguys

Good to see that the website's being handed off to a DDoS mitigator that's resistant to DMCA claims.

The last thing needed here is for a DMCA troll to knock the site down.

Mephiles
12 hours ago, Andi said:

Well, obviously not EVERYBODY visited for the downloads, but the majority did. Let's be honest here, the site is pretty much dead at this point, that is the harsh reality of things. I'm looking at the forum now and barely anybody is posting anymore. Some sub forums haven't had posts in months now. I admire their dedication to keep the forum alive, but they are delaying the inevitable at this point. Kametsu is dead.

Edited by Mephiles
  • Like 1

Nabull
8 minutes ago, Mephiles said:

Well, obviously not EVERYBODY visited for the downloads, but the majority did. Let's be honest here, the site is pretty much dead at this point, that is the harsh reality of things. I'm looking at the forum now and barely anybody is posting anymore. Some sub forums haven't had posts in months now. I admire their dedication to keep the forum alive, but they are delaying the inevitable at this point. Kametsu is dead.

Well yes releases have been slow because not a lot of new people in the encoders/uploaders. These guys have been active for a long time, they're going to stop at some time

Spoony
51 minutes ago, Mephiles said:

Well, obviously not EVERYBODY visited for the downloads, but the majority did. Let's be honest here, the site is pretty much dead at this point, that is the harsh reality of things. I'm looking at the forum now and barely anybody is posting anymore. Some sub forums haven't had posts in months now. I admire their dedication to keep the forum alive, but they are delaying the inevitable at this point, Kametsu is dead.

Kametsu and Nandato have nothing in common these days other than the fact that Nandato was created to be very similar and fill the void left for many people. We can compare the two all day if you wish, but it's not going to make any sort of difference. Kametsu is out of the game of piracy and while it clearly didn't go as Koby planned, it seems to be doing better than you try to give credit for.

I really don't want to feel like I have to defend my friends, but I suppose I can enlighten you a bit. You say that it's dead yet when I look at the actual activity of the two communities in the past few weeks for comparisons because I'm always curious how well Nandato is doing and how many other stragglers haven't made their way from there to here: Kametsu always has more visitors on any given time. Currently 44 vs 28. So whether people are posting or not, they're definitely browsing the place more.

There really isn't much incentive for people to bother with forums for discussion when there is Discord and that is evident here too in that most of the discussion on Nandato also happens on the Discord and not the forum, but I find Kametsu a great source for news personally if for nothing else. No matter how much they wish it was different it's inevitable that forums just aren't as good of a place for discussions anymore.

If we take a look at the Discords we once again see higher numbers at Kametsu. Currently: Kametsu 205 vs Nandato 144 online. If we take a look at total Discord users still in each: currently Kametsu 1,600 vs Nandato 500. Now lets look at IRC: currently: Kametsu 84 vs Nandato 24. That seems pretty far from dead to me to say the least. It does seem to be dwindling down as the Discord was over 2,000 last time I bothered looking, but it's pretty clear there is an active base of users that haven't left.

I hate comparing stuff. It makes me feel dirty, so thanks for that. In closing, just perhaps be a little nicer to our old friends, quit fibbing about Kametsu, and just be happy Nandato is here to continue the legacy.

All that said, I have no doubt Nandato will continue to grow and prosper, and I'll continue to moderate for as long as the new owner wishes to have me.

Edited by Spoony
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2