Andi

Several Disney animated classic movies are now labeled as “racist” on Disney+

Andi

Disney has labeled several animated classics movies as “racist” on Disney+

https://deadline.com/2020/10/disney-racist-warnings-peter-pan-the-jungle-book-the-aristocats-lady-and-the-tramp-1234598855/

Racist imagery and cultural stereotypes in six Disney animated classics including Peter Pan, The Jungle Book, Lady and the Tramp, The Aristocats, Dumbo and Swiss Family Robinson are being flagged on the Disney+ streaming site with warnings and detailed explanations of the “negative depictions” in each title.
These stereotypes were wrong then and are wrong now,” reads an explanation on Disney’s Stories Matter website regarding the new advisory notices. Disney+ writes, Rather than remove this content, we want to acknowledge its harmful impact, learn from it and spark conversation to create a more inclusive future together.The new notices have been implemented with the assistance of an advisory council composed of various organizations including GLAAD, the African American Film Critics Association, Coalition of Asian Pacifics in Entertainment, IllumiNative, National Association of Latino Independent Producers, and RespectAbility, among others.

this is truly Beyond ridiculous, They are just old cartoons after all. Products of their time, I really do think Streaming companies need to stop panicking and preaching other people about such things...but well try explaining that to disney, it's a sad world we live in these days.:classic_sad:

Edited by Andi

badguys

Imagine, if you will...

A culture of corruption and gang stalking...

All based on the whims of corporations and Interest-based social media feeds...

Facebook, Twitter and the like were a mistake.

• Like 3

Andi

to tell you the truth It's not the "disclaimers" I'm bothered by. It's them getting into "specifics" which strikes me as more than a bit much. Especially when it comes to The Jungle Book, where for me at least it's a huge stretch.
I also don't think these films are "racist" so much as they are "products of their time," so even the claim that "these stereotypes were not okay then" isn't exactly the case either (if I’m making sense).

Absolutely abysmal idea. Ditto on not minding the disclaimers themselves, but telling people exactly why they’re offensive defeats the entire purpose of making people more informed/enlightened. Adults and children of all races should be trusted to work out for themselves why these images can be hurtful and offensive, despite the fact that it’s very likely that most of those images were not intended that way, and were simply a “product of their time,”

Kids very well might:

A.). Be resentful that they have to read a paragraph on something that almost certainly never really thought about (cartoons being racist/stereotypical) when all they want is to watch Dumbo or Lady and the Tramp. This might actually start to evoke embryonic feelings of prejudice that might otherwise have never been there in the first place.

B.). Feel boredom and indifference. Thus making it even less likely that the child will be able to understand what prejudice is and what it really means. Meaning it’s possible that their eyes will glaze over every time they hear the word “racism.”

One word: Counterproductive.

It’s not that I don’t think education on racism and prejudice is important...I absolutely do. I just feel that viewers should be trusted to reason on their own why EXACT details of something would be hurtful to someone else.

Edited by Andi

moquin

As long as the content is available and uncensored then who cares about a little disclaimer.

• Like 1

badguys
On 10/27/2020 at 10:58 PM, moquin said:

As long as the content is available and uncensored then who cares about a little disclaimer.

That's sort of the thing.  This is a company that listens to mobs frequently and has been making bad decisions due to Twitter's marauding band of gang stalkers (I'll count corporate journalists since they have been acting like this since 2010).  I would further detail what I mean, but (to summarize) there's no reason that a site with 28 thousand Americans should dictate the environment for the other 302 million U.S. citizens.

The thing is that what's not "offensive" now will be in a matter of fento-seconds since all that Twitter ever wants is to throw a [name]IsCancelledParty.

SharkBeast

Wait wait, Lady and the Tramp got this label too? The heck? Tho if I had to guess ... it's over the cats, right?
Watch me roll my eyes so much at this!

TheShadowDragon

Would I give to watch Song of the South. If only someone does upload it here.

ProxyMan
8 hours ago, TheShadowDragon said:

Would I give to watch Song of the South. If only someone does upload it here.

I did download the restoration. It looks pretty good, but it is a large download. Good news is that it is also available publicly on archive.org, so anyone here can get it if they want. 

TheShadowDragon
On 11/19/2020 at 1:22 AM, ProxyMan said:

I did download the restoration. It looks pretty good, but it is a large download. Good news is that it is also available publicly on archive.org, so anyone here can get it if they want. 

I'm not sure if I could get up early in the morning to start downloading this ridiculously-large movie file, at least not from archive.org. Perhaps you could be of assistance with MEGA? I use the MEGAsync for quicker downloading of video files larger than 5GB. It even saves the videos' place before being fully downloaded.

Edited by TheShadowDragon

ProxyMan
4 hours ago, TheShadowDragon said:

I'm not sure if I could get up early in the morning to start downloading this ridiculously-large movie file, at least not from archive.org. Perhaps you could be of assistance with MEGA? I use the MEGAsync for quicker downloading of video files larger than 5GB. It even saves the videos' place before being fully downloaded.

I don't mean to sound rude when saying this, but I just don't feel like uploading such a big file like that when it is easily publicly available. I used Jdownloader and left it downloading through the day. Only took a couple of hours, so I recommend that way if you are open to it.

TheShadowDragon
2 hours ago, ProxyMan said:

I don't mean to sound rude when saying this, but I just don't feel like uploading such a big file like that when it is easily publicly available. I used Jdownloader and left it downloading through the day. Only took a couple of hours, so I recommend that way if you are open to it.

Yeah, I figured you wouldn't and had to download it from archive since 12 noon. But it was totally worth it.

ProxyMan
3 hours ago, TheShadowDragon said:

Yeah, I figured you wouldn't and had to download it from archive since 12 noon. But it was totally worth it.

I'm impressed that someone bothered to do Disney's job of remastering this film. I hate the hypocrisy that Disney wouldn't release it for its racism, but now are okay with just including a warning in front of these films for said racism, except Song of the South. Though, it feels uneeded as Disney films are so widely known that people generally know that about said 'racist' scenes. Also, glad you were able to download the film, despite taking what, 8 hours?