Jump to content
  • Sign Up
LastReaction

Manga/Light Novel Recommendations

Recommended Posts

LastReaction

If you're new to manga and light novels, or if you're looking for new content, look no further! Post your favorite manga & light novels that you've read or mention a few genres that you enjoy, and get recommendations from other members and staff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheDerpySage

So far the Monogatari Light Novels have been fantastic. Also been reading Konosuba, SAO The Only One Worth Looking At Alternative, and Goblin Slayer.

As for manga, I keep a mangadex list of stuff I'm reading (Azur Lane is gacha shit pls no bully). https://mangadex.org/list/149256

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DhruboZ
On 1/28/2019 at 5:59 PM, TheDerpySage said:

So far the Monogatari Light Novels have been fantastic. Also been reading Konosuba, SAO The Only One Worth Looking At Alternative, and Goblin Slayer.

As for manga, I keep a mangadex list of stuff I'm reading (Azur Lane is gacha shit pls no bully). https://mangadex.org/list/149256

Added you as friend 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
animepwns

Overlord
Tensei shitara Ken deshita
Konjiki no Moji Tsukai
Re:Monster
The New Gate
Arifureta Shokugyou de sekai Saikyou
(What they all have in common is a super strong MC)

These are some of the more notable Japanese LN's that I've read. Might be a few others that I couldn't think of right now.
All of them have a Manga as well, though I don't think they've gone very far into the story yet.

If you can find me something similar, I'd gladly appreciate it. Currently I've branched out to read Korean and Chinese stuff.

Edited by animepwns
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bonesandbillyclubs

I've been working my way through the SAO light novels.  They are...surprisingly similar to the anime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Asero

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Light Novels

 

I enjoyed this book.

 

There is a lot that is done right with this book. Even through the protagonist is a uniquely haired kid (white hair, red eyes), with a hidden power that has huge potential, he doesn't really fall into the typical Mary Sue brand of character that most anime protagonists do. Instead, he often spends his time running away from the situation and trying to find the courage to change his character in order to impress a girl he likes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xmgaz

I have been wondering why Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari rarely gets manged in threads like these. Not only is it a good story but I also like One Peace Books style of translation. Sure it has a bit less flow but it's truer to the original English. So yeah the Tate no Yuusha novels are my recommendation.

P.s.: The novel is better than the anime.

 

On 1/28/2019 at 1:29 PM, TheDerpySage said:

P.p.s.: Take this 👍 for reading the Devilman manga.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RIPCC

The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor is not too bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SSBJ

I like the Monogatari series quite a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BloodBag

Found myself in a weird romance mood lately, so I started reading Horimiya. It's pretty good. Maybe a bit too fluffy if you are not into that kind of stuff.
I've also been thinking about reading the Classroom of the Elite LNs. Are they any good?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pixxelherz
On 3/21/2019 at 8:01 PM, BloodBag said:

Found myself in a weird romance mood lately,

Have you read Domestic Girlfriend? If you are into romance, that one is for you. It's so good it has me sitting until late at night reading. For romance also check out Futari no Renai Shoka and Nozoki Ana. The former is a strong love story, quite inocent at that, the later, well, is quite raunchy but it does get a very strong message across in the end. I like both a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
usernameistaken1

I've been reading Please don't bully me, Nagatoro for a while now and it always manages to make me laugh.

Iris Zero is a cute drama manga that many haven't heard about but it's coming out very slowly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kazel
Posted (edited)
On 2/9/2019 at 8:48 AM, animepwns said:

Overlord
Tensei shitara Ken deshita
Konjiki no Moji Tsukai
Re:Monster
The New Gate
Arifureta Shokugyou de sekai Saikyou
(What they all have in common is a super strong MC)

These are some of the more notable Japanese LN's that I've read. Might be a few others that I couldn't think of right now.
All of them have a Manga as well, though I don't think they've gone very far into the story yet.

If you can find me something similar, I'd gladly appreciate it. Currently I've branched out to read Korean and Chinese stuff.

Haha, didn't think I would see Konjiki here, loved the LN.

Based on what you've listed, I bet you'll like these.

 

Manga/Webtoon:

Kamitachi-ni-hirowareta-otoko   -Dude gets reincarnated in fantasy world, proceeds to spend years playing and researching slimes in the wilderness. Slimes and MC's knowledge from another world are OP. This is a pretty new manga, but I'm already in love with it, since it's based on a LN, I'll probably have to pick that up.

Red Storm -Thickheaded MC starts weak with no talent, meets OP inter-dimensional traveling Master who trains MC and through sheer force-of-will becomes OP. Starts out as desert tribe fighting monsters and other tribes, but becomes much more. Tons of great action, large battles and epic duels.

 

 

LNs:

Release that Witch- Engineer gets transported to medieval fantasy world (with an interesting take on magic), proceeds to conquer through rapid technological advancement. Great world building.

Seoul-Stations-Necromancer - Returner Necromancer, OP MC, Strong Korean mentality.
Warlock of the Magus World (Wujie-Shushil) -Dude from the future gets blown/reincarnated (and merged with his AI Chip) into another world filled with magic. OP MC who keeps progressively getting more OP, Cutthroat.

Everyone Else is a Returnee -Everyone else is transported away to prepare for world being attacked. The MC is left behind. God feels bad and freezes time giving him 10 years to train. 10 turn into 100. OP MC who keeps progressively getting more OP

 

If you didn't notice, I kinda have a thing for Isekai.

Edited by Kazel
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kazel

I'd like to find an action manga similar to Berserk, Kingdom, Red Storm, Vinland Saga, ect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
animepwns
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Kazel said:

Haha, didn't think I would see Konjiki here, loved the LN.

Based on what you've listed, I bet you'll like these.

 

Manga/Webtoon:

Kamitachi-ni-hirowareta-otoko   -Dude gets reincarnated in fantasy world, proceeds to spend years playing and researching slimes in the wilderness. Slimes and MC's knowledge from another world are OP. This is a pretty new manga, but I'm already in love with it, since it's based on a LN, I'll probably have to pick that up.

Red Storm -Thickheaded MC starts weak with no talent, meets OP inter-dimensional traveling Master who trains MC and through sheer force-of-will becomes OP. Starts out as desert tribe fighting monsters and other tribes, but becomes much more. Tons of great action, large battles and epic duels.

 

 

LNs:

Release that Witch- Engineer gets transported to medieval fantasy world (with an interesting take on magic), proceeds to conquer through rapid technological advancement. Great world building.

Seoul-Stations-Necromancer - Returner Necromancer, OP MC, Strong Korean mentality.
Warlock of the Magus World (Wujie-Shushil) -Dude from the future gets blown/reincarnated (and merged with his AI Chip) into another world filled with magic. OP MC who keeps progressively getting more OP, Cutthroat.

Everyone Else is a Returnee -Everyone else is transported away to prepare for world being attacked. The MC is left behind. God feels bad and freezes time giving him 10 years to train. 10 turn into 100. OP MC who keeps progressively getting more OP

 

If you didn't notice, I kinda have a thing for Isekai.


I have already read a bit of 'Kamitachi-ni-hirowareta-otoko', but I don't think I've heard of Red Storm. Sounds interesting, so I'll check it out.


As for LN's, I'm actually reading Release that Witch right now. At around chapter 400 at the moment. (It's disappointing that the MC is just a fragile mortal incapable of gaining any personal strength, aside from more powerful guns... but I suppose it's still an entertaining read, considering I'm still reading it. :3 )
I've already finished 'Warlock of the Magus World'. That was quite an interesting read, although I felt it got less entertaining the further on it went.
I've also finished 'Everyone Else is a Returnee'. This one was really entertaining.

I think I've seen 'Seoul Station's Necromancer' while browsing around, but I don't remember if I gave it a shot. I'll have a look at it.

Thanks for the recommendations. Now I have 2 more things to look forward to 😄

Edited by animepwns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...