Sign in to follow this  
sok23

How do you watch your video files?

sok23

Hi there,

Up until recently I used to storage and watch all of my video files on a streamer with internal storage (3.5 Sata). Not long ago my streamer broke down and so I'm currently using my external back-up drive as my main media player by hooking it directly to the TV. I've been looking for streamers with capacity for internal storage, but it seems they have disappeared from the face of the earth (mine was really old). From what I can gather, all of today's streamers are either cloud-based or have the ability to connect to an external drive. They just play and don't store. I'd prefer not to go that route as I don't like to depend on Internet connection to watch TV. I prefer have physical copies and not have my files on some cloud. Old fashioned, I know.

Also, I know a lot of people prefer to hook up their laptop and use it as the player. However, I'm looking for something more elegant that will not require me to set it up before and after every time I watch TV, and that will also look nice in the living room. But I admit, I'm a bit out of my element here.

How are you watching your video files? Do you have any good recommendations for other solutions that don't rely on cloud-storage?

Thanks,

Linez

I put a few big hdd's in my old computer, installed Plex, Jellyfin and sambashare (on linux).

Like this I can stream all of my files to any device in my home network (android tv streambox, chromecast, raspberry pi with kodi...)