Mesterius

DuckTales (1987) on the Japanese Disney+ with unique video masters?

Mesterius

This Japanese DuckTales intro popped up on YouTube recently. Apparently it's taken straight from Disney+, and it intrigues me because it actually has Japanese text titles on top of the image. It's apparently an original broadcast master too, as the text is identical to this 15-year old YouTube upload of the Japanese intro.

Until now, I was under the impression that Disney+ used the same video files for their content in all countries. But apparently that's not the case with DuckTales on Disney+ in Japan... or the intro wouldn't have these Japanese text titles. So could it be possible that the video masters for the full episodes are also different from the ones used in most countries?

The reason this could be interesting is that the video masters Disney+ uses for DuckTales in the U.S. and Europe have horrible-looking DVNR on the first 75 episodes. (Those episodes were DVNR-ed for the DVD editions in 2005-2007, and since then the DVNR masters have been used by Disney pretty much everywhere.) If the Japanese version stems from an older set of broadcast masters, maybe the DuckTales episodes on Disney+ in Japan are without DVNR.

So I was wondering: does anybody know if full rips of the Japanese-dubbed DuckTales episodes on Disney+ have surfaced anywhere? The YouTube upload of the intro certainly implies that someone has ripped them.

• Like 1

Mesterius

Update: never mind, the uploader explained in a comment that the video footage is ripped from a Japanese LaserDisc release.