Moodkiller

xdelta3 GUI 2.0 (v2.0.8) - A patch maker for all!

Moodkiller
Posted (edited)
xdelta3 GUI 2.0

Gt3n4kM.png

Synopsis: I have forever been in search of gui for xdelta for patch making. After trying out 3 or 4 different ones, I stumbled across this one from a 3 year old github repo. Of course with it being this old, there were some features and functionality missing, not to mention it was using an outdated xdelta3 package. From this, xdelta3 GUI 2.0 was born.

info

File Host: Mega, github
Affiliated Groups: Jordi Vemeulen (original creator), Moodkiller (modifier,updater)
File Size: ~1MB
File Extension: .exe

Changelog:

Changelog includes: v2.0.8

• Fixed 3.Apply Patch-Windows.bat creation to look in correct directory for xdelta3 executable.
Spoiler

Changelog includes: v2.0.7

• Now creates a shell script for all you Linux users so that patches can be applied.
  • Added @pause to end of 3.Apply Patch-Windows.bat so that outcome is visible when applying patches.
  • Moved xdelta executables out of patch subdirectory to root for cross platform compatibility.
  • Cosmetic changes (version number now in title bar, updated tool tips)
  • Added icon to menu bar and task bar. 
  • Added auto fill options of xdelta, vcdiff and diff for the Patch Extension field.
  • Added auto fill set of arguments in a 'drop down' style that removed the "-B 1073741824"  tag in order to lower RAM usage during patch making.

Changelog includes: v2.0.6

• Fixed the Drag and Drop feature to allow dropping whole folders.
  • Some bug fixes.

Changelog includes: v2.0.5

•  Fix .zip creation
  •  Improved the "temp" directory name generation

Changelog includes: v2.0.4

• Drag and drop functionality.
  • Only have one instance of a CMD window when making a batch patch.

Changelog includes: v2.0.2

• xdelta3 source wildcard (so that any new version of xdelta can be placed in the root folder).
  • Added a new option where one could specify what patch extension they would like.

Changelog includes: v2.0

• Updated to use xdelta3 3.1.0 release.
  • Enabled secondary and higher source window size (results in smaller patch files).
  • Added xdelta3 arguments line for finer control.
  • GUI now creates a empty changelog file (2.Changelog.txt) as well as patching instructions (1.Readme.txt).
  • Colour co-ordinated list boxes.
  • Updated Folder browser to full featured version for Patch File Destination setting.
  • Set GUI to copy xdelta3 to patch sub directory by default.
  • Set default subdirectory to vcdiff as default for patch files.
  • Set patch files to have Old files file name
  • Set new extension for patch files to .vcdiff
  • Updated copyright date and version information.
  • Created custom logo
  • Updated Makepatch.bat section accordingly.
  • Added confirmation box after patch creation.
  • Run patch application in verbose mode

TO ADD

----------

• Support for 32bit Windows.

• Create / Port GUI to Linux.

• Make GUI dragable while patch making is running.

• Create scripts to run on Apple OS. (hint)
• Change icon in menu bar.

• xdelta3 source wildcard (so that any new version of xdelta can be placed in the root folder).
• drag and drop functionality.
• Add a new option where one could specify what patch extension they would like. 

• Fix .zip making - currently makes an empty .zip fle.

• Use one CMD window when making patches for more than 1 file.

• Add @pause to patch making CMD and .bat application CMD.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome, otherwise I hope you all find a use for this.

Credit goes to all those who helped on IRC with their respective inputs, namely CaptainJet, Koby, Etzimal, JohnFlower and SakuraChan.

screens.png

downloads

File Hosts:

Current version: 2.0.8
xdelta3 GUI 2.0 - Github

Notes:

• Seen as this was brought up, to solve the high RAM usage, just remove "-B 1073741824" from the arguments section. The risk is that you may end up with a larger than required .vcdiff file especially if just patching fonts or 1 audio track. 

enjoy

Edited by Moodkiller
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

LastReaction

@Moodkiller - You may be able to get a better understanding of how to make patch files for MacOS & OS X by looking at this repo: https://github.com/dreamer2908/YAXBPC

This is the software that I use to make patches. While it is using an outdated xdelta binary (it still works fine so NBD), it is able to successfully create patches for MacOS & OS X. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SpoonyBard

Patches made with this seems to successfully patch things on ubuntu, but would be cool if this actual program would work on ubuntu? Maybe it does, but I haven't tried it to find out.

• Like 2

LastReaction
1 hour ago, SpoonyBard said:

Patches made with this seems to successfully patch things on ubuntu, but would be cool if this actual program would work on ubuntu? Maybe it does, but I haven't tried it to find out.

I don't see why it wouldn't work if you run it using Wine. Give that a try, maybe?

• Like 1

SpoonyBard
1 hour ago, LastReaction said:

I don't see why it wouldn't work if you run it using Wine. Give that a try, maybe?

Was kind of hoping an actual Ubuntu/Linux version of the GUI existed, I've never actually Wine, but I've heard it has mixed results with some applications.

The output patch zip has a "3.Apply Patch-Linux.sh" file for Linux users, which this cmd

` #!/bin/sh`
` mkdir old`
` chmod +x xdelta3`
` xdelta3 -v -d -s "oldfile.mkv" "vcdiff/patch.vcdiff" "newfile.mkv"`
` mv "oldfile.mkv" old`

Just figured if it's accommodating Linux users, maybe the GUI wouldn't need much alteration to work out of the box on Linux too. Or if someone had something they'd recommend?

• Like 1

Moodkiller
On 4/1/2019 at 2:10 PM, LastReaction said:

@Moodkiller - You may be able to get a better understanding of how to make patch files for MacOS & OS X by looking at this repo: https://github.com/dreamer2908/YAXBPC

This is the software that I use to make patches. While it is using an outdated xdelta binary (it still works fine so NBD), it is able to successfully create patches for MacOS & OS X. 

Cheers, thanks for that. In theory the Mac and Linux "executable" xdelta should be the same, would just need the correct outputted script to execute patch application on OS. Shouldn't be too difficult to implement.

On 4/2/2019 at 9:44 AM, SpoonyBard said:

Was kind of hoping an actual Ubuntu/Linux version of the GUI existed, I've never actually Wine, but I've heard it has mixed results with some applications.

Just figured if it's accommodating Linux users, maybe the GUI wouldn't need much alteration to work out of the box on Linux too. Or if someone had something they'd recommend?

I honestly don't know what would be required for building / porting this programme to a *inux environment. I would go with the Wine route for now and see how that goes... I mean, CRC's will tell you if it worked or not even if the patch applied "successfully". Will look into it the GUI, just not a high priority at the moment.

• Like 1

gsk_

@Moodkiller I sometimes work on my old system and its 32-bit is there a way to use this on 32bit system as well?

• Like 1

Moodkiller
On 7/2/2019 at 12:32 PM, gsk_ said:

@Moodkiller I sometimes work on my old system and its 32-bit is there a way to use this on 32bit system as well?

Hmm, not that I know of currently, I mean, xdelta cli will work as a stand alone, but the actual GUI is another story. I would have to look into this 🤔

• Like 1