Sign in to follow this  
sfaxt

A question about sub timings on certain players.

sfaxt

well that was an old question i had , but i happened to experience it just now so time to ask.:classic_tongue:

back when i was qcing my monogatari subs on a variety of players,

i noticed that on mpv and mpc my signs were perfectly synced. but on potplayer signs were off for about 20- 30ms or so.

few days  ago i realised that  same happens on powerdvd and just now saw the same on mx player (android)  with 3-gatsu

and i tested a variety of subs, some displayed ok some with about 20-30ms delay on those players.

i assume its a player issue, but is it fixable somehow, or its thats sub renderers for those players are just tad slower in some cases?

strange part its that not happeniing with all subs. maybe some signs are more demanding to render and that causes it?

Edited by sfaxt
edit 30ms not 3, i dont have such high sensitivity :P

Solaufein

Does either the video or subtitle track have a MKV delay applied to it?

sfaxt

no. lets take catar's 3gatsu for reference.

signs around 20:46 (ep1 tags on packs and celebration sign)

they look fine on mpv or mpc but mistimed on the players i mention.

to be honest i havent tested it much,  since those players arent my players of choice for anime anyway.

fwiw i noticed that on commie subs in both cases (though simple signs, i doubt thats the issue)

its just bit strange, and im curious if its known issue or fixable somehow.

i also thought it might be an issue how each player handles timings.

eg maybe on mpc/mpv  .99 on aegisub is interpretted as 990ms but on other players as 999ms? or something like that.

Edited by sfaxt

Solaufein
20 hours ago, sfaxt said:

i also thought it might be an issue how each player handles timings.

eg maybe on mpc/mpv  .99 on aegisub is interpretted as 990ms but on other players as 999ms? or something like that.

That would be pretty unusual, since SSA/ASS only stores 2 decimal places and there is no correct math where .99 = .999. But, I don't have any better ideas. 😛 

Edit: Found this from back in 2013:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mx-videoplayer/-7n0xn0TWCM

User specifically mentioning an ASS subtitle delay and the dev acknowledging the issue and stating it will be fixed in the next major release. But then there's this user complaining about similar issues in 2015:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/mx-player/mx-player-dont-handle-ass-ssa-subs-t3256103

Edited by Solaufein
  • Like 1

sfaxt
1 hour ago, Solaufein said:

That would be pretty unusual, since SSA/ASS only stores 2 decimal places and there is no correct math where .99 = .999. But, I don't have any better ideas. 😛 

Edit: Found this from back in 2013:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mx-videoplayer/-7n0xn0TWCM

User specifically mentioning an ASS subtitle delay and the dev acknowledging the issue and stating it will be fixed in the next major release. But then there's this user complaining about similar issues in 2015:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/mx-player/mx-player-dont-handle-ass-ssa-subs-t3256103

yeah all in all my guess is that that some sub renderers are slower than others and require different timings.

just saw that in 3 players so its not uncommon.

probably threre's no fix to make everyone happy i guess,  and for now it doesnt matter much.

mpc and mpv are the most common and best choices anyway.

Edited by sfaxt

Nyan

At 23.976fps, one frame is approximately 41ms. Most (if not all) subtitle renderers align to video frames, so make sure that your timings align well to the frames (perhaps it's possible for them to round to different frames, so check that).

Having said that, not all video decoding pipelines are necessarily frame accurate, so it's possible to be off by a frame in some places.

• Like 1

ewrty09

Some players let you adjust sub delay, so maybe see if yours does. It's pretty helpful in these situations.