dnautics

Monogatari Chronological Watch Order

dnautics

It can be daunting trying to figure out the watch order with all the content out there. I found this handy graphic which makes figuring out what to watch first a lot easier.

Monogatari Watch Order

Monogatari.jpg

Edited by dnautics
  • Like 3

SpoonyBard

Thanks. Was curious about this show but seems it's not in English?

dnautics
5 minutes ago, Subtle.Edge said:

As far as I know its all subtitled. I haven't watched all of it yet but it is really wordy. I imagine it would be hard to dub.

gsk_
1 hour ago, Subtle.Edge said:

1 hour ago, dnautics said:

As far as I know its all subtitled. I haven't watched all of it yet but it is really wordy. I imagine it would be hard to dub.

This series is not going to dubbed, infact I don't want it as well(I watch dubs most of the times, so I am not saying out of sub vs dub kind of way). As dnautics said it is a show about words or rather a clever use of words. How subtle difference in words such as "can" and "could" to give your(I mean protagonist) the flow of conversation is effected. You can think this as a steins gate okarin but multiplied by 10 times the wittiness. I really can't say how awesome is this anime. It is easily takes my top 5 anime of all time. 

You will only like this anime if you love the heavy dialogue like spice and wolf. @dnautics Please watch this when ever you get free time, you won't be disappointed.

As for regarding the order I recommend broadcasting order here

latest?cb=20170827025452&format=original 

• Like 2

TheDerpySage

Light Novels are getting English releases if you really care about English, but the anime is a real experience and I'm not sure how to describe it. You just gotta give it a try and see what it's about.

Neutopia91
8 hours ago, gskumar said:

This series is not going to dubbed, infact I don't want it as well(I watch dubs most of the times, so I am not saying out of sub vs dub kind of way). As dnautics said it is a show about words or rather a clever use of words. How subtle difference in words such as "can" and "could" to give your(I mean protagonist) the flow of conversation is effected. You can think this as a steins gate okarin but multiplied by 10 times the wittiness. I really can't say how awesome is this anime. It is easily takes my top 5 anime of all time. 

You will only like this anime if you love the heavy dialogue like spice and wolf. @dnautics Please watch this when ever you get free time, you won't be disappointed.

As for regarding the order I recommend broadcasting order here

latest?cb=20170827025452&format=original 

I'm curious as to the name of this site, does it have other chronological orders for series and so on. If so mind private messaging me the link ?

Thanks.

Edited by Neutopia91
Grammar failure.

gsk_
1 hour ago, Neutopia91 said:

I'm curious as to the name of this site, does it have other chronological orders for series and so on. If so mind private messaging me the link ?

Thanks.

Isn't that the series order? It is from top left and goes bottom. I don't know why you asked for private message though. Any reason? I don't think there any restrictions of not posting links of sites except shortner links(standard protocol). Here is the link for that pic https://bakemonogatari.fandom.com/wiki/Monogatari_Series_Timeline_and_Watch_Guide

I know most of them turn away just by seeing the no.of titles and many different orders to watch on different sites. Please don't panic and don't refer many sites. I will compile it for you

The best order to watch is obviously the broadcast order here(Same as pic)

1. Bakemonogatari – Contains the stories Hitagi Crab, Mayoi Snail, Suruga Money, Nadeko Snake, and Tsubasa Cat.
  2. Nisemonogatari – Contains the Karen Bee and Tsukihi Phoenix stories.
  3. Nekomongatari: Kuro – Tells the prequel story of the Tsubasa family.
  4. Monogatari Series: Second Season – Somewhat confusingly named if you have no experience with the light novels, this encompasses a big bulk of the single story light novels including the Tsubasa Tiger, Mayoi Jiangshi, Nadeko Medusa, Shinobu Time, and Hitagi End. My best one as well
  5. Hanamonogatari – Tells the Suruga Devil story.
  6. Tsukimonogatari – Tells the Yotsugi Doll story. 
  7. Owarimonogatari (First Season) – Tells the Ougi Formula, Sodachi Riddle, Sodachi Lost, and Shinobu Mail stories. My second best
  8. Koyomimonogatarii – Encompasses 12 different short stories about Koyomi.
  9. Owarimonogatari (Season 2) – Tells the Hitagi Rendezvous, Araragi Koyomi’s story, and Ougi Dark stories as well as one other story not mentioned for spoilers sake.
  10. Zoku Owarimonogatari (No BD release) – Released originally as a movie, but planned screenings as a 6-episode series in 2019, this tells the Koyomi Reverse story.

If you have noticed I missed Kizumonogatari which is a amalgam of 3 movies and is the starting point of the series. So why didn't I include it first? Because all movies suck, which can make someone turn away from this awesome series before getting to know it. So I would recommend watching it after Bakemonogatari. After watching Bakemonogatari it would be much better to watch since you will get used to the dialogue style and the animations which are very unique(I haven't seen anything like this in my entire life).

I don't recommend this but some like to watch it in chronological or time based one

1. Kizumonogatari
  2. Nekomonogatari: Kuro
  3. Bakemonogatari
  4. Nisemonogatari
  5. Monogatari Series – Mayoi Jiangshi
  6. Monogatari Series – Shinobu Time
  7. Owarimonogatari (First Season) – Shinobu Mail
  8. Monogatari Series – Tsubasa Tiger
  9. Owarimonogatari (First Season) – Ougi Formula, Sodachi Riddle, Sodachi Lost
  10. Monogatari Series – Nadeko Medusa and Hitagi End
  11. Tsukimonogatari
  12. Owarimonogatari (Second Season)
  13. Zoku Owarimonogatar(No BD release)
  14. Hanamonogatari
  15. Koyomimonogatari

Some primates may say you should watch in novel release order and don't listen to them.

So now we know how to watch them; Now is the time to pick a release. The best release is Coalgirls by default but for whatever reason they decided to do a Ordered chapter release (which I don't like) https://coalgirls.wakku.to/?s=monogatari 

In my opinion this is the best release https://nyaa.si/view/969454 because it contains all the subtitle releases for monogatari and GOD NO F*CKING OC. So you can choose which ever you want and it is a hevc so that I don't have to get extra version to play on my TV.

Actually catar release is also present but it is lost you know why!

For those who have less space on HDD and want a nice mini encode; this is good one(I checked it and it is good) https://nyaa.si/view/1089679

Edited by gskumar
links not being shown.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Neutopia91

@gskumar ah thanks for further information. Have a pleasant day. 

• Thanks 1

dnautics

@gskumar thanks for the nyaa link, I like how everything is together for the most part.

gsk_
8 hours ago, dnautics said:

@gskumar thanks for the nyaa link, I like how everything is together for the most part.

Np. But what do you mean by most part. Is something missing? If so can you tell me so that I can add it to make it more coherent to others as well.

dnautics
1 hour ago, gskumar said:

Np. But what do you mean by most part. Is something missing? If so can you tell me so that I can add it to make it more coherent to others as well.

I didn't see

• Owarimonogatari second season
  • Zoku Owarimongatari
  • Hanamonogatari

Not a big deal, I will just download those seperately.

Edited by dnautics

gsk_
On 1/29/2019 at 12:18 AM, dnautics said:

Owarimonogatari second season

No fan sub. I don't prefer retail subs never ever. Especially not for a show like this which requires heavy typesetting like this one.

Zoku Owarimongatari

No BD is available.

Hanamonogatari

It is present in Monogatari 2nd season in that 1st nyaa link

I pretty sure everything is present, but I am a human after all. So if anything is missing don't hesitate to ask or point out.

• Like 1

gsk_

Well I will be damned, some fans decided to dub kizumonogatari. If someone wants to laugh at it, you know go to which site -_- 

sfaxt

well as expected i searched for monogatari :classic_laugh:

actually i recommend kizumonogatari 2nd after bake. for  rest air date. 

and because im lazy to write about it see this post 

its true you can pretty much watch it at any point though the earlier the better imo, but not before bake.

as for best version

yousei raws when available (nise, neko, 2nd season,hana, tsuki) for the rest beatrice raws or BD remuxes. for koyomimonogatari usbd with retail subs.

everything is available on rutracker (from public trackers). koyomimonogatari is on nyaa.

for subs  i released modified monogatari subs about 2 years ago btw but no muxes. just subs & fonts for the brave raw fans XD

i might mux them in the next 3 years but dont hold your breath :classic_tongue:

thats my full bloat collection so not exactly easy to handle that project and wont be very poplular anyway ^^

Spoiler

GD3Ycis.png

the one linked above by gskumar isnt that great but still ok for a hassle-free experience and certainly better than coalgirls. go for commie subs when available if you choose that. especially for S02.

Edited by sfaxt

gsk_
1 hour ago, sfaxt said:

beatrice raws

You can get a remux at that bloat. But if someone doesn't mind the size then it is okay; but someone has to get the subs and retime it(if it's not) but you already have a good version available with all the subs in market.

The link I gave has all the versions so it is a good collection.

Well your collection is damm good. All BDMV I guess. I too have my custom edited version of subs.

• Like 1

sfaxt
9 hours ago, gskumar said:

Well your collection is damm good. All BDMV I guess. 

nope not all bdmv:classic_tongue:, yousei raws bdrips for nise, neko, 2nd season,hana, tsuki ( they have very rich extras too)

rest is  bdmv. but honestly monogatari is probably one of the best things i ever watched, so i just love it.

and heres the subs just  in case someones interested 

http://kitsunekko.net/dirlist.php?dir=subtitles%2FMonogatari+All+Seasons+Modified+Batch%2F

for koyomimonogatari  id probably prefer USBD subs now .  I watched some parts quickly but they might be an improvement over the fansub option. too bad bd  wasnt available back then

Edited by sfaxt
  • Like 1

gsk_
10 minutes ago, sfaxt said:

nope not all bdmv, yousei raws bdrips for nise, neko, 2nd season,hana, tsuki ( they have very rich extras too)

rest is  bdmv XD

heres the subs just  in case someones interested 

http://kitsunekko.net/dirlist.php?dir=subtitles%2FMonogatari+All+Seasons+Modified+Batch%2F

for koyomimonogatari  id probably prefer USBD subs now .  I watched some parts quickly but they might be an improvement over the fansub option. too bad bd  wasnt available back then

Neato collection.

Thanks for the subs, I will add that to post of mine. Should be a nice.

Koyomimonogatari fan subs are good, for one I hate retail subs. Still waiting for commie to do owari S2.

sfaxt

yeah id like that. another version for reference would be great.

you can try my owari 2 subs. they should be  at least decent with my edits. but they re synced with horrible subs (tv). owari 2 bd wasnt available back then.

dont hold your breath waiting commie to do owari 2 soon tbh. herkz said they d do kizu 3 and koyomimonogatari before owari 2. and that was probably over a year ago (or more) and they haven't released anything so far. i wont say they wont do it but it might take too long, and years pass. priorities change etc. etc.:classic_smile:

Edited by sfaxt

gsk_
19 minutes ago, sfaxt said:

you can try my owari 2 subs. they should be  at least decent with my edits. but they re synced with horrible subs (tv). owari 2 bd wasnt available back then

I haven't watched it because of the wait for commie

Well I can wait, I already waited for a long time now. May be If it doesn't comes out by zoku monogatari movie BD then I will watch your subs.

22 minutes ago, sfaxt said:

dont hold your breath waiting commie to do owari 2 soon tbh. herkz said they d do kizu 3 and koyomimonogatari before owari 2. and that was probably over a year ago (or more) and they haven't released anything so far. i wont say they wont do it but it might take too long, and years pass. priorities change etc. etc.:classic_smile:

Too bad. I hope they do it fast or atleast give some kinda info on it.

Avion

This has always been the most confusing thing. 

sfaxt

zoku owari BD vol 1  is out. best options to get i guess is either BDMV or reinforce encode atm. vol 2 (final) end of march somewhere (too lazy to search :P )

no subs yet though. but edo will cover it probably within the next couple weeks, his kizu subs were very good and he poured lots of effort in short time to deliver it fast.

Edited by sfaxt

gsk_
2 hours ago, sfaxt said:

edo

Who?

Akatsuki

Thanks for posting this! I've always been interested in checking out the Monogatari series after seeing a fight from youtube!